Minimum length CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to upgrade my brewing Urn with an integrated all copper CFC, something like this, when the pump is constantly connected to the chiller

for the inner tubing I want to use 1/2 OD coil, not sure yet about the outer tubing diameter.

What do you think will be the minimum length that will still provide decent efficiency ( tried 3 ft in the past and it was useless).

Thanks,
Royi

25' is nice and works on one pass for me, though I have smaller inside tubing. I think you could get by with a 10' coil and recirculate into your kettle for a while and then into your fermenter. You want to make sure that the water coming out of your CFC is fairly hot, if it is cool then you don't have enough length to get full use of the water.

You may have to run the water slower on the 10' coil (or even shorter) but that'll slow down your cooling times. I've been thinking of going back to the immersion chiller, or just go with a no-chill method.

I've no problem recirculating and maybe even wrap copper wire around the inner tube for better heat transfer.

Tried no-chill, didn't like it.

Why do you think of going back to IC?

Back