Minimum Barrel Aging ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
So heres the deal. Im about to barrel age my first beer. My buddy just hooked it up with a 3 gal bourbon barrel for a house warming present so I brewed an oatmeal coffee stout to age in it. The problem is, I missed my numbers a bit. I normally boil off down to about 5.5 gals but on this I wanted to go down to 5 gal. Well I forgot and ended up with 5.5 gals of 1.074 wort instead of 1.080(ish) wort. So Im predicting it should finish up around 1.012-1.014. If it finishes up there, it will be around 8.3%. My question is, is that too low of an ABV to barrel age? I know barrel aged beers want to be higher to fight off the barrel bugs and what not, so am I risking it here?

The barrel still has plenty of whiskey in it, so should be pretty sanitized. And before someone says it, I dont want a sour so thats not really a "worst case scenario" for me.

I dont have an issue just kegging this and brewing it again to get higher numbers, but if you guys think that ~8.3% is fine, then Ill go ahead and age it.

Thanks!

I barrel aged 6.3% brown ale for a month in a 3rd turn whiskey barrel. Turned out great, but it took a while for all the flavors to smooth out with such a low ABV barrel beer. Higher ABV beers usually have more assertive flavors which help mask the bourbons and oak better.

I think it's more about time spent in the barrel than it is about ABV.

Ok great! Thanks guys! Im gonna pull a sample tonight and see if its even worth barrel aging (new recipe and Im thinking it may be on the bitter side) so we'll see

Back