Minimizing evaporator coil icing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinosr

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a crappy commercial merchandizing cooler that I'm using as a ferm chamber. It works great for fermentation temperatures, but I cold crashed a beer in it for the first time this week, and the evap coils iced up... not terribly but I definitely got about 8oz of water in the pan when I finally let it thaw. I'm worried that this will cause problems later when I want to lager.

To minimize icing, do you think it's better to have the probe on or off of the fermenter when dropping to low temps? I took the probe off of the fermenter when I dropped the temperature because I didn't want to run the compressor too hard. This led to the fridge cycling very frequently for short cycles, and I got to thinking that maybe these frequent temperature swings were at least partly responsible for the fridge icing. Also I have the temperature differential set at 5 degrees F. Should I make that smaller?

Thanks for your advice, refrigeration gurus!

Your best bet is to put a small dc fan blowing or pulling air across the coils, and just keep it running 24/7.

Keeps coils from building up ice and stirs the air.

The system already has forced air running over the evap coils, but I'll wire it so that the fans are always on.

I use a TRUE GDM-10 with STC-1000 as my fermenter and cold crash to the mid 30's with no problems. I found it critical that my STC1000 be wired into the cooler such that the evaporator fan is always on. This forces defrosting of the coil while the compressor is off. I would recommend leaving the probe on the fermenter to reduce short-cycling and allow for adequate defrost time.

FWIW, these coolers are generally setup with a constant cut-in control with its probe attached to/inserted into, the evaporator coil. Each cooling cycle includes a defrost period that allows the evaporator temperature to rise to the cut-in temperature in the low 40s before again cycling the compressor on. This results in a very consistent operation even with a lot of humidity constantly re-introduced into the cooler with constant door openings.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely change the wiring around. so that the evap fans are always on. Unfortunately, this fridge doesn't have a defrost heater or thermostat, so I'm stuck with trying to manually minimize frosting.

I had assumed that you had added a digital thermostat.

No need for a defrost heater. The relatively warm air, forced through the evaporator, is enough to defrost.

I do have a digital thermostat, just not a defrost thermostat to take the coil temp. I think I'll put on a DPST switch so I can have the fans always running only when I'm really dropping the temp, to save a bit on energy and give the fans a rest. Thanks for your insight!

Latest posts

Back