Mini Keg brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoRoToRiUm

Reaction score
First off, I'm a newbie,so please be forgive my setup...

I received a Beer Machine, which I actually love due to the simplicity, but it's not enough beer! I'm looking into kegging into mini kegs. I have one of those Avanti table top chillers/CO2 tap systems I got for next to nothing.

That said, I'm not ready to venture into REAL beer brewing as of yet. I have some beer machine mixes, and planned on experimenting with the brewing/kegging process. If you're not familiar with these cheap mixes, hops/grains etc are all powdered. Simply mix with water, dump in your yeast, seal and let it ferment. After it's ceased fermentation, toss it in the fridge and let it carbonate and clarify (CO2injection for serving straight from beer machine). The Beer Machine tap has a float tube system to eliminate the sediment from getting into your beer.

I think my best option, until I have room/money for corny kegs and actual brew equipment, is going to be going through the brew process, raising the CO2 level and rack into the mini kegs (No sugar primer?). Each brew should be about 2 mini kegs, which means I can put one in the Avanti and re-pressurize and enjoy. The other? Well I guess bung it and pray...

To save steps and hassle, I was also thinking of halving a Beer Machine mix, and brew it in the mini kegs! My concern is sediment, as well as pressure. I was thinking if getting/installing mini pressure gauges into the mini kegs, but then I'm concerned about leaks, not to mention the kegs are good for about 6-12 uses (I've read various ratings, as well as love/hate stories of mini kegs), which means taking them out and redoing it if I stay with this for an extended period of time. I would more then likely try and come up with a filter to attach to the end of the serving pin which draws the beer from the keg, or sacrifice a few pints of each keg this way.

I don't consider myself a 'mad scientist', but is this experiment doomed to go horribly wrong? Any input or feedback, keep in mind I know Cornelius kegs are the way to go, would be great.

*Bows before the beer gods*

Not an expert (yet), but as I understand it, those mini kegs wont' handle carbonation pressures. They are often used with CO2 for serving though. Also, a Corney will last 'forever' with reasonable care, while the mini's have a reputation of wearing out/rusting after several uses.

That is not to say that they are useless. A friend of mine is starting to use them for the appropriate situation, say where a corney is likely to be too much for a party. Plus, they can be a great way to get started when you dont' have the $$ or space to build a kegerator and full CO2 system.

As far as "real brewing" you can get started for next to nothing there as well. I highly recommend it. 5 Gals will last until the next brewing session! It's really not as difficult or expensive as you may think. Actually, you could probably skip the boiling part depending on your method (though I wouldn't).

A brewing pail isn't very expensive & doesn't take up much room. I can't imaging trying to clean a layer of trub out of a minikeg.

Back