Mini fridge kegorator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJTHEBEST

Reaction score
Just built a kegorator out of a mini fridge and i had to bend the freezer tray. My question is: The freezer compartment is the part that cools the fridge. After i bent it out of the way it still runs and still cools, however about 1/5th of the freezer does not frost over. The rest of it is frozen. So if i cracked or kinked a line or something will/can it cause only part of the cooling compartment to work. Or am i over thinking this?

I'd expect the refrigerant evaporator coil to be only one line so if you pinch one part of the line you've pinched the whole thing. Dunno why you'd see frost missing on part; maybe there's a minor pinch. Is it the front or back fifth? If so, that's probably the case; if it's a circular spot or something else, probably just random.

In any case, if it cools, it cools, and will probably keep on like that. You might have a little extra stress on the compressor, but as cheap as those things are, you probably wouldn't be able to attribute an early failure to your actions reliably--even unmodified ones die for no reason quite often. But plenty of people do just this and suffer no consequences (though some do: see http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13287&start=0)

Anyway, not much you can do about it; a rebend would be just as dangerous and would screw up being a kegerator. So just let it go and see what happens.

Back