Mini-firdge Stainless Glycol Reservoir, What Connector to Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdeaves

Reaction score
I only have space for a mini-fridge kegerator in my apartment. Currently the freezer compartment is completely idol and I was thinking of creating a glycol reservoir in there to use with either the Anvil or SS Brew Tech cooling systems. I only brew 3 gallon batches, and I don't really need to lager, so I think it might have just enough oomph to suit my needs.

I've found a stainless steel hotel pan to use as a reservoir and it fits the freezer perfect.

https://www.nellaonline.com/product...am-half-size-steam-table-pan-hotel-pan-58204b
The problem is the pan is the eaxct same height as the freezer. There is no room to run hoses over the edge of the pan and out to my fermenter. My plan was to drill a couple holes in the pan, and find a screw-on, gasketed connector that has a hose barb on each side. Sort of like the ball valve part of this kit,

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/miniballvalvewnewrackingarm?_pos=3&_sid=74cad1266&_ss=r
but it would have barbs on both sides, and wouldn't have the valve. It just needs to seal against the pan and connect a vinyl hose on each side.

Does anyone know where I might find something like this?

Of course I could use a shorter pan, but I'd be giving up almost 50% of the usable glycol volume.

Thanks!

Can you get a really good fitting lid for that pan? Reason I ask is, it'll need to be sealed pretty well to prevent the glycol absorbing moisture and overflowing.

The pan just fits in the freezer, so the ceiling of the freezer forms an ok seal with the lip of the pan so I don't think I'll need a lid. Although this is the first time I've heard of glycol absorbing water. Can you explain a little more about that process? Is it similar to how ice builds up in the freezer? I.e. water in the air condenses on the cold surface?

The pan just fits in the freezer, so the ceiling of the freezer forms an ok seal with the lip of the pan so I don't think I'll need a lid. Although this is the first time I've heard of glycol absorbing water. Can you explain a little more about that process? Is it similar to how ice builds up in the freezer? I.e. water in the air condenses on the cold surface?
Glycol is hygroscopic, meaning it will pull moisture out of the air causing the level to rise until it overflows. If you can't easily see the level rising you won't know it's too full until it starts leaking out. If they sell lids for that pan, you can seal it up with some silicone and binder clips.

Hmmmm. There's definitely not enough room for lid on the reservoir. I guess I'll have to DIY a sight glass out of some vinyl tubing or something. Although I supposed I'll be able to see the glycol in the lines running to the fermenter.

On that note, do you know how people normally deal with the glycol in the cooling coil when they disconnect the cooling line for cleaning. Isn't it just gonna make a huge mess everywhere? Or is holding the coil upside down and letting the glycol drain back into the reservoir enough? I know with my immersion chiller this kind of works, but I still end up getting water everywhere sometimes.

Here is a link to the lid for that pan. As the handle is recessed, the added height of the lid is only the material thickness, 0.5mm Browne 575538 Stainless Steel Half Size Hotel Pan Cover

I'd run a bead of silicone around the rim of the lid and smooth it out to a nice thin even layer to act as a gasket; if the fit in your freezer is really snug, that might be enough to create a decent seal.

That's actually a great idea. Thanks!

Are most glycol systems closed loop for this reason? If it is closed loop, and sealed tight enough, does that mean I could get away withing an inline pump instead of a submersible. That would increase my usable glycol volume a bit, I could keep the pump outside the fridge, so one less hole to drill in the wall of my fridge, and it would (presumably) make it a lot easier to troubleshoot any problems, as I wouldn't have to rip the lid off the reservoir.

Back