Mini/Dorm Fridge for Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
Who here uses a mini/dorm size fridge as your fermentation chamber? I know you are limited to 1 large FV at a time / or a couple corneys, but they are easy to find and inexpensive to pick up on CL. You can normally pick up a couple for the price of an upright freezer.

I've been thinking about doing something like this, too, but I think there are some difficulties to be overcome.

First, unless you're just cold crashing or doing long-term cold conditioning, you're going to have to gradually lower the temperature of your fermenter from it's first-stage temperature, to its target lager temperature, right? Otherwise, I would think that the sudden drop in temp would put most of the yeast into hibernation.

So, since I have only a single temperature controller for my chest freezer, this means that I'll either have to get a second controller, or gradually lower the temperature until it reaches that of the mini-fridge's ambient internal temp. Since I think you're only supposed to lower temperature 1-2F per day, it could be ten days before I'm ready to move the fermenter, and I'm back to the original problem -- my chest freezer can't do anything else until I'm done.

Again, if you have mutliple temp controllers, this is a non-issue, but for those who have to watch their budget, it doesn't look like a mini-fridge solves much.

EDIT: From what I'm seeing in other threads, a mini fridge can't really get down to lager temps, anyway (around 45 degrees, minimum). I suppose, if you have a freezer with a temperature controller, you can use the mini fridge for your first-stage fermentation, then transfer to a chest freezer for lagering, but it seems like a mini fridge isn't a lagering solution.

Again, if you have mutliple temp controllers, this is a non-issue, but for those who have to watch their budget, it doesn't look like a mini-fridge solves much.

You can build up an STC-1000 temperature controller for like $30.

You can build up an STC-1000 temperature controller for like $30.

This might be totally true for someone with experience, a parts list, the tools (soldering pencil, etc), and the patience to wait, but I gotta admit that I'm hesitant to dive into that pool.

Do you have any links to a ~$30 DIY single-stage controller (with plugs)?

From what I'm seeing in other threads, a mini fridge can't really get down to lager temps, anyway (around 45 degrees, minimum). I suppose, if you have a freezer with a temperature controller, you can use the mini fridge for your first-stage fermentation, then transfer to a chest freezer for lagering, but it seems like a mini fridge isn't a lagering solution.

I've found a 1 inch layer of solid ice when lagering in my dorm fridge. Even at less than the lowest setting, I need to monitor that it doesn't get too cold.

My lagering fridge is of the dorm type and can hold two 3 gallon Better Bottles with practically no room to spare. I use an old-fashioned outlet timer to control the primary temperature (not difficult, just not that fine), and the standard fridge control to control lagering temps.

I'm sorry, I thought this was the DIY forum! :p

The STC is the cheapest one that I know of. You don't need to solder, just cut and strip a couple wires and twist them together. You need nothing beyond a screwdriver and some wire strippers, or even pliers, or even scissors if you're really tool-deficient.

Here's the master thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

And here's a different build:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

I'm sorry, I thought this was the DIY forum! :p

YOWCH! That BURNED, man! :mad:

Naw, you're right. As soon as I hit "submit" I immediately found the 300+ page thread with the controller build and thought that it looked supremely easy -- no soldering needed!

And it looks like dorm fridges vary from model to model, so if you're willing to grab a controller and a project box, maybe a dorm lagering fridge is totally plausible!

How 'bout dat -- dun gone and totally change my tune.

I've found a 1 inch layer of solid ice when lagering in my dorm fridge. Even at less than the lowest setting, I need to monitor that it doesn't get too cold.

My lagering fridge is of the dorm type and can hold two 3 gallon Better Bottles with practically no room to spare. I use an old-fashioned outlet timer to control the primary temperature (not difficult, just not that fine), and the standard fridge control to control lagering temps.

I can definitely see how a dorm/mini fridge with a freezer and a little modification can hit the lower temps you would need to lager properly.

Back