miller lite clone done/ 60% efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
So- I did this clone of ML with two hops
Its my second all grain full boil 2.7 gals to the fermenter with 60% efficiency according to my OG of 1.034

2 pound 2 ounces two row
One pound 6 row
One pound flaked corn

Irish moss

amylase enzyme goes into the secondary to get up to 4%abv

I have safale 05 (also my first yeast harvest) but I have a packet of safale 05 incase the harvest yeast was crap -

And going to use hallertau at 10 mins

Then dry hop hallertau

I plugged in the numbers and came up with a starting og of 1.034 thought it may be a bit higher, but, 1.04 (ishs) but anyways 1.03 is the target for this recipe I got the recipe from this forum

How can I get better efficiency on my stove top I did a dip-in the bag sparge

Make sure the crush is fine, there are no clumps and you stir the snot out of it when mashing.

After the dunk sparge, I set an oven rack over the kettle and the bag on top and squeeze as much liquid out as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's one way to get better efficiency than just dunking a bag of malt when making small all-grain batches — use a small beverage cooler, lined with a steeping bag, as your lauter tun.
You can mash in your brewpot by dunking the bag of grains. This way, you can keep the mash temperatures steady. When the mash is over, lift the grain bag into the cooler. Pour the wort in your brewpot in the cooler and recirculate (to filter it), then run off the wort and sparge the grain bed with hot water. You can batch sparge or fly sparge. It's easy, easy to clean up (as the grain bag is contained in the end), and you can get extract efficiencies close to full all-grain. (Generally, if you extract efficiency is low, crush the malt a little finewr next time.)

Simple 3-Gallon All-Grain Brewing
http://beerandwinejournal.com/3-gallon-all-grain/

Chris Colby
Editor
http://beerandwinejournal.com/

Thanks for taking the time to post to my thread.

What size beverage cooler should I get?

Also, how long should I recirculate the wort?

A 2-gallon cooler will hold about 4 lb. of malt, and — if you fully sparge the grain bed — yield a little over 2.5 gallons of wort at approximately SG 1.044. That's a good size for doing 5-gallon partial mash batches.
A 3-gallon cooler will hold about 6 lb. of malt, and yield almost 4 gallons of wort at SG 1.044. That a good size for 3-gallon all-grain batches or 5-gallon partial mash batches. (3.9 gallons at SG 1.044 boils down to 3 gallons at 1.057.)
Recirculate until the wort becomes clear, or 20 minutes, whichever comes first. (Also, if you've recirculated the full volume of wort (or close to it), stop. Repeating it won't do any good.)

Chris Colby
Editor
http://beerandwinejournal.com/

Back