Milled Grain Lifespan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Yesterday (Thursday) I had malt milled and began my first lager-yeast starter.
With ales I start the night before and have high kreuzen for a midday pitch by the following day.

This morning, after noticing no discernible activity, I read that lager starters should sit on the stir plate for 1-2 days. Should have thought of this, as lagers have a slower start.

Will my milled gain's quality diminish to the point it would affect my lager, if I waited to brew until Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks!

many opinions on this .
I buy my grain unmilled and mill it myself within minutes of mashing . Unless, for whatever reason the supplier mills it already.
I don't make yeast starters as a habit. I pitch dry yeast on top of the wort and in most cases , I get plenty of yeast action within 12 hours of pitching.
I brewed yesterday (Bavarian Hef, came pre-milled, I didn't ask ,it just came that way .Been in the bag for a couple weeks) and pitched Safale-06 at 3:30pm,wort was right at 60*F .
7:30 am ,this morning I have a high white kraeusen and blow off tube is bubbling away like it should.

Thanks, Soulshine2. Just to be clear, your preference is to go right from mill to mash, but sounds like couple of weeks doesn't hurt things? Thanks again!

Your beer will be fine. If it starts to smell off and/or isn't nice and crunchy any more, than your beer won't, but this takes at least weeks, or moths, or even years, if properly stored.

I order double milled grain from Ritebrew and get two recipes at a time to save shipping. The second recipe can end up sitting around a couple months until I get to it. I keep it in a cool, dry place and have not noticed any bad effect on taste, etc.

I order double milled grain from Ritebrew and get two recipes at a time to save shipping. The second recipe can end up sitting around a couple months until I get to it. I keep it in a cool, dry place and have not noticed any bad effect on taste, etc.

Thanks, Leezer! I'll put it in my basement, which is all of those things.

Hey all,

Yesterday (Thursday) I had malt milled and began my first lager-yeast starter.
With ales I start the night before and have high kreuzen for a midday pitch by the following day.

This morning, after noticing no discernible activity, I read that lager starters should sit on the stir plate for 1-2 days. Should have thought of this, as lagers have a slower start.

Will my milled gain's quality diminish to the point it would affect my lager, if I waited to brew until Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks!
no, I have let grains cracked sit around for months. Brulosophy backed this up with a test, but I know everybody's confirmation bias is more real than a blind triangle taste test. He made a beer where he pre cracked the grains for one batch 6 months before the other and 26 participants were unable to reliably distinguish a difference. I used to have all my grain pre cracks just for convenience and honestly I might go back to it. The difference , if any, isn't worth the hassle of dragging a 50 lb sack of grain every time I want to make it batch.

I sure hope cracked grain doesn't go bad quickly. I buy pre-crushed and quite often some of it sits around for months, especially the specialty grains. I haven't noticed any issues but then again I'm not making world class beer (yet)

I had a bag of milled grains sit for almost a year and it turned out to be one of my better beers. The grains were in a guest room that doesn't get used often and was in a airtight bag. That might have helped with keep everything fresh.

Back