Mill Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carros

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I got this mill from my wife’s grandma. I have used it a couple of times so far, but have not gotten what looks like a consistent crush. It seems to me that I am getting a lot of flour and whole kernels at the same time. I may try just cranking it down until I do not get any whole kernels for my next brew and see what happens when it comes time to sparge, but in the meantime I thought I would post on here and see if anyone has experience with or tips for using this type of mill.

Here are some pics of when I had it apart cleaning it.

What type of mill is it? Have you checked the gap at both ends? Also what rpm are you running it at? Soumds to me that the gap may be uneven. More information would be helpfull.

Sorry, fixed the pictures now. I am not sure what type of mill it is, the only markings I can find on it are the No. 2 that is on the hand crank.

Wow that looks like it could crush granite. But, with that kind of mill it might be difficult to tell what the gap would be. So, I would suggest that the grain should look like a little less than .333 flower, .333 husk. and a little more than .333 kernals. If its does not look like this maybe increase the size of the grind.

hope this helps.

That is a burr type mill, or more accurately a corn grinder. I would tighten the gap until you have no whole pieces of grain, and all grains are well fractured. Fear not, I'm guessing it will work well for a long, long time. Nice score btw!

I got around to brewing this weekend, and I decided to go for it and tightened the mill down until there were no whole pieces of grain. I also decided that my stainless steel braid was looking rather stretched out so I replaced it before I brewed. That must have been the cause of my slow sparges on the previous batches when I used this mill, because I did not grind it nearly as fine before and I had no problems this time. Well other than overshooting my gravity since I got 94% efficiency.

Back