Milky white spots waiting on boil help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatslob

Reaction score
vJ2RtJY

What are these? Waiting on boil its freaking me out

Can't view the picture, but probably hot break. Either skim it or leave it, no big deal.

I tried using a regular airlock and it sprayed all over my closet. So I filled a jar with water/rubbing alcohol and shoved a tube into the airlock and in the jar. Well I noticed some of the foam is darker ( towards the neck) how screwed am I?

The beer will probably be ok.

Always start with a blow off tube to avoid having to clean up a mess.

I recommend filling the jar with properly diluted Star San. If Star San gets sucked into your beer somehow that it's no worry, but rubbing alcohol...

Even water in the blow off jar is better than IsoPropyl Alcohol...or Star San or Vodka. There is a good chance that blowoff liquid can get sucked back into the fermenter under certain conditions and Isopropyl alcohol is poisonous. Is also purposely made to taste awful, so that people don't drink it in quantity.

Dumped and switched my dudes. Really dont want to use star San until I research it more. Just creeps me out that an antibacterial doesn't need to be rinsed

Injesting phosphoric acids can lead to lower bone density. o_O . ya no thanks

Injesting phosphoric acids can lead to lower bone density. o_O . ya no thanks
Star San is not the least bit dangerous.

The amount of any substance left over from Star San is too small to have any impact whatsoever on your health.

Star San is not the least bit dangerous.

The amount of any substance left over from Star San is too small to have any impact whatsoever on your health.
Ya I'm gunna hold off on it. The article I read didn't mention the dosage amount the test subjects took. The problem with calcium blockers is that you won't know until it's too late.

Do you drink any kind of cola (Pepsi, Coke)? Phosphoric acid is one of the main ingredients in most colas. I would much rather ingest starsan than rubbing alcohol.
I only drink water, coffee and alcohol

The article I read didn't mention the dosage amount the test subjects took.
You're trusting an article that doesn't even provide basic information. Does this make sense to you?
The problem with calcium blockers is that you won't know until it's too late.
Actually, it's called a bone density scan. It's a non-invasive test.
It also contains sulfuric acid. this has been shown to cause mutations in ovaries, is a carcinogen, can char organics such as skin, cause birth defects. Geez boys, I'll stick to other options.
https://fivestarchemicals.com/ingredients
The dose makes the poison. People die drowning in water, or even from drinking too much water at once. Literally everything around you is toxic in an unreasonable dose.
The commercial beer you drink probably has some phosphoric acid added to it to adjust the pH.
If you live in a city, your tap water has chlorine. Are you worried about dying from chlorine gas or the fact that you're drinking an anti-microbial?

Alcohol is a lot more toxic than trace amounts of Star San. It's known to cause cancer and damage or affect multiple organs.

Facts are available if you're willing to learn them.
:mug:

It also contains sulfuric acid. this has been shown to cause mutations in ovaries, is a carcinogen, can char organics such as skin, cause birth defects. Geez boys, I'll stick to other options.
dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid, not sulfuric acid.
No California Prop 65 warning.

California No Significant Risk Level: None of the chemicals in this product are listed.

I suspect you may want to reassess your research of this product.
I would be more concerned with the negative effects to your liver and known carcinogenic associations of alcohol than the negligible amount of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid in starsan.

I tried using a regular airlock and it sprayed all over my closet. So I filled a jar with water/rubbing alcohol and shoved a tube into the airlock and in the jar. Well I noticed some of the foam is darker ( towards the neck) how screwed am I?
rubbing alcohol??? NOOOO if anything ,use vodka or everclear. Ive used star san in the airlock forever.

dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid, not sulfuric acid.
No California Prop 65 warning.

California No Significant Risk Level: None of the chemicals in this product are listed.

I suspect you may want to reassess your research of this product.

I would be more concerned with the negative effects to your liver and known carcinogenic associations of alcohol than the negligible amount of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid in starsan.
Its listed on their website of included ingredients. I'll just stick to vodka like the other guys suggested. I do enough already to get cancer bro

Is this a troll thread? The proportions of chemicals in a properly mixed and properly used Starsan solution are minimal at best.

And much safer than any of these....

As to the amount in a catch vessel for blow off. Use only the amount needed to keep the end of the blowoff tube submerged. Then there not enough to fill the tube to the top and cannot make a siphon - NO suck back.

Its listed on their website of included ingredients. I'll just stick to vodka like the other guys suggested. I do enough already to get cancer bro
I'm not arguing for sake of argument, I want to stop the spread of misinformation.
Please reread their website and please reference where it says sulfuric acid as I cannot find that chemical in their list.
https://fivestarchemicals.com/star-san-sanitizer-8-oz

Also, attached is the sds and a screenshot of active ingredients: note the lack of Sulfuric acid.
20200211_133415.jpg

Attachments

• SDS-STARSAN.pdf
    343.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm not arguing for sake of argument, I want to stop the spread of misinformation.
Please reread their website and please reference where it says sulfuric acid as I cannot find that chemical in their list.

Also, attached is the sds and a screenshot of active ingredients: note the lack of Sulfuric acid.
View attachment 666101
Here you go. Straight from the horses mouth.
Alcohol had been shown to cause cirrhosis of the liver so I’d be careful consuming it....
true but I get enjoyment out it, same thing with tobacco. There's nothing enjoyable about drinking starsan

There's nothing enjoyable about drinking starsan
There's nothing enjoyable about cleaning or sanitizing equipment, but that's like 80% of brewing. Unless you don't mind your batches getting contaminated with wild microbes.

Here you go. Straight from the horses mouth.

true but I get enjoyment out it, same thing with tobacco. There's nothing enjoyable about drinking starsan
Thank you for providing this. Now can you provide the percentage of sulfuric acid?

Now that I took the time read your post,please afford the same courtesy and reread mine.

View attachment 666101
I'll add the label, which does not denote any content of sulfuric acid.

I'll preface with I am not a chemist nor have I worked the formulas in 20 years since college chem. But I vaguely recall that sulfonic acid is created by the sulfonation of sulfuric acid and an alkylbenzene (probably Aliphatic dihydric alcohol as its listed).
starsan-12x8.jpg

Continuing down the road of off topic...
I wouldn't eat or bathe in Lye (sodium hydroxide) but it's used in the soap I use and the olives I eat. Point being, toxic or harmful components are used in all sorts of everyday items. Their process of manufacturing may use toxic components but the resulting products are not by default toxic. Many wild mushrooms are mildly toxic raw but safe(ish) when cooked. Rhubarb, potatoes, taro and cassava are potentially toxic when raw but cooking (processing) makes them safe.

Tl:dr - no actual sulfuric acid (at least not in H2SO4 form) in StarSan. Use it or not, I could care less. Just make an informed decision with fact-based evidence.

Thank you for providing this. Now can you provide the percentage of sulfuric acid?

Now that I took the time read your post,please afford the same courtesy and reread mine.

I'll add the label, which does not denote any content of sulfuric acid.

I'll preface with I am not a chemist nor have I worked the formulas in 20 years since college chem. But I vaguely recall that sulfonic acid is created by the sulfonation of sulfuric acid and an alkylbenzene (probably Aliphatic dihydric alcohol as its listed).
View attachment 666128

Continuing down the road of off topic...
I wouldn't eat or bathe in Lye (sodium hydroxide) but it's used in the soap I use and the olives I eat. Point being, toxic or harmful components are used in all sorts of everyday items. Their process of manufacturing may use toxic components but the resulting products are not by default toxic. Many wild mushrooms are mildly toxic raw but safe(ish) when cooked. Rhubarb, potatoes, taro and cassava are potentially toxic when raw but cooking (processing) makes them safe.

Tl:dr - no actual sulfuric acid (at least not in H2SO4 form) in StarSan. Use it or not, I could care less. Just make an informed decision with fact-based evidence.
Ya bud, ive seen breaking bad; I think I know a thing or two about sulfuric acid.

Dumped and switched my dudes. Really dont want to use star San until I research it more. Just creeps me out that an antibacterial doesn't need to be rinsed

If it was hazardous, thousand if not hundreds of thousand or even millions of us would be in trouble health-wise. When you use one ounce in 5 gallons then only wet the surface of your tools, there is a very little amount of acid left. I would bet that a lemon is more acidic. Granted a different type of acic.

Did you know there is sodium in table salt? Have you ever seen what happens when you drop sodium into water? Its a metal for chrissakes! Don't eat salt its made of metal!!!

HOFAzBMtLgyLCOK-800x450-noPad.jpg
Dihydrogen monoxide:

• is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

• as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
If dihydrogen monoxide is banned the world would be safer place.

Latest posts

Back