Milky color in a Brown IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
So I brewed a brown IPA as an experiment and the resulting color was not what I expected. It looks like coffee with cream.
I don't cold crash as I don't have fridge space... but all my beers clear nicely after about a week in the fridge.
I've had a bottle of the brown IPA in the fridge for a month and it still looks the same.

I really like how it tastes but it looks very ugly.

I keep a detailed note log of my brews and the first time I noticed the color was while bottling.

What are the things that make beer hazy? Any thoughts?

Recipe
4 gal batch
OG 1.094
FG 1.019

Grain:
Pale Ale (2 Row) 67%
Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L 9%
Maris Otter 22%
Chocolate 2%

Other fermentables
Piloncillo 1/2 lb added to boil at 15min

Mash @ 153F for 60min

Boil 90min
Wirfloc 1/3 tspn @ 10min

Hops
Galaxy 0.5 oz @ 45min
Galaxy 0.5 oz @ 30min
Galaxy 1 oz @ 10min
Galaxy 1 oz @ 5min
Galaxy 1 oz @ dry hop
Citra 0.5 oz @ dry hop

Yeast: Nottingham (rehydrated)

Fermentation: 2 weeks @ 61F and third week increased ~1F per day until I reached 68F.

Bottled adding 4oz of table sugar (boiled and cooled), and 1/4 pack of S-05 rehydrated.

Is it the Piloncillo? I've never used or even heard of it for that matter. Nothing else in the recipe looks like it would give off a milky color

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can you post up a picture? Offhand I'm suspicious of the piloncillo, it's a non centrifugal source of sugar so impurities are a bit more likely; in theory though it should work just as well as brown sugar but that's in theory.

I'll post a picture once I get home.

You guys are going to "make" me drink a homebrew!!!

I've used piloncillo in many batches before this one and never had a clarity issue. I even used some of that same batch/bag on my pumpkin ale that is way more clear than this brown IPA. Having said that, quality control on piloncillo making is poor to say the least. So I don't discard it.

I don't know why but I have the feeling that it was something in my process. As both of you mentioned, non o the ingredients (perhaps piloncillo) would case this hazyness.

- What could I have messed up during the mash? Temperature? I add the sparge water, stir, let sit for 10 min and drain again. Sparge water temperature?
- Could I have done something wrong while adding rehydrated yest in the bottling bucket? Shocked the yeast and it remained in suspension?

Thanks for the help.

Back