Milky Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bahnzaijr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty upset.

I've spent the last few weeks really taking care of my Irish Red Ale during fermentation making sure to not miss any steps and sanitize everything thoroughly. As the initial fermentation and secondary fermentation went great, it turned milky after a few days in the keg with co2. I attached a picture for help on what it is and how can i help it. Obviously it's supposed to be red and clear as it was before the co2, but i have a feeling its infected now.

Thanks

Is that the first pull off the keg? Was it clear before going into the keg? How long was the primary and secondary? What did you do to prepare the keg prior to kegging?

Primary was for about 3 weeks and secondary was for about 1 week. The beer had a nice, rich red color after secondary.

To prep the keg, i let warm soapy water soak for a while, and then replaced the water with more warm soapy water where i scrubbed it out. I discharged the water through the hose using co2 to clean the hose. Then i rinsed out a few times.

To sanitize, i filled it halfway and then added the right amount of sanitizer. I shook the keg for at least a minute, discharged through the hose again, and then let dry before i added the beer.

But how much beer did you draw from the keg? Sometimes the first couple pints look a little evil.

Yeah, let it sit for a while (a week or so) and pull off a couple ounces, wait an hour, pull off a little more. Ideally the sediment drops to the bottom, and then you clear a little space around the bottom of the dip tube. No reason to suspect infection.

At least a couple quarts and its still pretty murky. Im not sure if its relevant, but it went straight into a refrigerator at 40 degrees F with the keg and co2 after the secondary.

Good news everyone. I took everyone's suggestion to let it settle for a little over a week and now the beer came out great. It's beautiful in color and taste like a million dollars. It's somewhat sweet with a hickory/smokey after taste. Here's a picture.

Latest posts

Back