Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I'm brewing a milk stout kit tonight. I want to add some fresh coffee grounds to the boil, never done it before. I'm wondering what time I should add it and how much to add. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Adding grounds may extract more bitterness than coffee flavor. Brew a batch of strong coffee for the strength and mellow flavor. If you have a stout on hand add measures of the brewed coffee to it to determine the volume to add to your batch.

I just pitched the yeast. Think I will dry hop or I suppose dry bean while in secondary.

SDbrewerJake said:
Some people just throw some strong brewed coffee in it as a dry hop.

Could I just add it to my bottling bucket right before I bottle?

Try it out. If your looking for a strong coffee flavor I'm sure that would do the trick. This is the fun thing about home brewing. Let us know how it turns out.

I used 16 oz. of fresh brewed espresso added to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

NRS

NorthRiverS said:
I used 16 oz. of fresh brewed espresso added to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

NRS

How did it turn out?

I have a stout going right now with coffee in it and the guy at my lhbs said to cold brew the coffee with my recipe. doing so would avoid a lot of the bitterness coffee naturally has and would get a stronger coffee flavor.

But to tell the truth I do not know yet. But that is what i did as that is the biggest reason i do not care for coffee is the bitterness.

Just my two cent

Latest posts

Back