Milk stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
I'm looking at making a milk stout similar to Left Hands but wasnt sure if I should do extract or partial mash. Here is my current recipe for a 5 gallon extract batch. Would you add anything? Take anything out?

62% 6 lb Dark Dry Malt Extract

10% 1 lb Chocolate Malt (US)

10% 1 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose)

8% 12 ozRoasted Barley

5% 8 ozFlaked Barley

5% 8 oz Crystal 80L

1.5 oz cascade

Nothing there really needs to be mashed except maybe the flaked barley - my understanding is it will give you starch haze if only steeping but that shouldn't matter in a stout. My suggestion would be to use light extract as you have 1.75 lb of roasted malts plus the crystal already in there for flavor and color.

Nothing there really needs to be mashed except maybe the flaked barley - my understanding is it will give you starch haze if only steeping but that shouldn't matter in a stout. My suggestion would be to use light extract as you have 1.75 lb of roasted malts plus the crystal already in there for flavor and color.

Ok thanks for the tip. I was going to add Munich malt and flaked oats too if i decided to mash

The recipe looks like one for a chocolate milk stout that is only missing cocoa nibs. Cascade wouldn't be be my first choice either because of the citrus/grapefruit aroma.

The recipe looks like one for a chocolate milk stout that is only missing cocoa nibs. Cascade wouldn't be be my first choice either because of the citrus/grapefruit aroma.

I chose cascade because I already have them and columbus in the fridge. Would columbus be better or should I just get some goldings?

Back