Milk Stout is Done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think it looks amazing but I am my own worst critic when it comes to taste.....I can almost taste hint if olive or alcohol and it's killing me. Wish I had some local buddies who knew about beer that I could give some to.

image-3966399709.jpg

jhart94949 said:
I think it looks amazing but I am my own worst critic when it comes to taste.....I can almost taste hint if olive or alcohol and it's killing me. Wish I had some local buddies who knew about beer that I could give some to.

Was it kegged or bottled conditioned? A buddy of mine just had the same issue with his stout that was bottled conditioned, he said he tasted alcohol. He let it set a couple of extra weeks and he said it really mellowed out. Not sure if that's your issue or not.

I have had a few alcohol heavy beers, and after letting them mellow for a while (2weeks after bottling, plus another 2 weeks) the "off" flavor has gone and the beer now has more "depth". Time heals a lot of things, patience is the key.

It was in the primary for two weeks, secondary 1 week and then I kegged it, it's been in the keg about 5 days

If your fermentation temperature didn't get too high then it sounds like its a little young. It may not necessarily be an off flavor, but the beer may need more time to meld together. I don't know about the olive taste though.

Sweet stout is a beer I really like, so I brew a lot of them and my last particular one came out with a really strong alcohol taste (bottled) with a sharp astringent bite as an after taste when it was young. Couple weeks of conditioning and I had a couple co workers accusing me of rebottling commercial beer (as if)

I have had a few alcohol heavy beers, and after letting them mellow for a while (2weeks after bottling, plus another 2 weeks) the "off" flavor has gone and the beer now has more "depth". Time heals a lot of things, patience is the key.

yeah give it some more time and if it hasn't changed well then at least you have one sexy looking stout picture

If your fermentation temperature didn't get too high then it sounds like its a little young. It may not necessarily be an off flavor, but the beer may need more time to meld together. I don't know about the olive taste though.

Sweet stout is a beer I really like, so I brew a lot of them and my last particular one came out with a really strong alcohol taste (bottled) with a sharp astringent bite as an after taste when it was young. Couple weeks of conditioning and I had a couple co workers accusing me of rebottling commercial beer (as if)

yeah give it some more time and if it hasn't changed well then at least you have one sexy looking stout picture

My "darker" beers always get at least a month before I start drinking them.. or, rather, sharing them.

My Milk Stout (the ingredient kit from Morebeer.com) has been in the keg for 4 weeks come Saturday. It was good going into the fermenter and good straight out of the fermenter. After a week in the keg, it had that sorta yucky CO2 "taste" to it. At two weeks, it was drinkable. At three weeks it was pretty darn good. Looking forward to sampling it tonight, at 4 weeks... hopefully it'll be good to go for my Hallowe'en party next weekend.

Like the old saying goes: "the best bottle (or pint) from any batch is the last one you drink." And it's true. Be patient and give your libations time to condition. :mug:

Like the old saying goes: "the best bottle (or pint) from any batch is the last one you drink." And it's true. Be patient and give your libations time to condition. :mug:

Haha I love that. Posting from my mobile I thought you were the OP, lol. Waiting for stout is hard, they're so good!

Back