Milk stout gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
Brewed a milk stout a couple weeks ago, checked the gravity and it seems to have stopped at 1.022, og was 1.048. It's only 3.4abv, pretty sad beer. It tastes good but I would like a little more abv. I'm gonna rack to secondary and raise the temp a few degrees maybe it will ferment a bit more? What do you guys think? I know milk stouts are usually pretty light but this is really light. Been fermenting at 16c for two weeks.

Did you have like 1lb of lactose in there? Lactose is an unfermentable sugar, so stopping at 1.020-1.025 would be about right. It is basically in the recipes for adding mouthfeel and some sweetness. When i made my chocolate milk stout about 2 months ago i ran into almost the same gravity numbers. I had an OG of 1.050. After 2 weeks i was at 1.028 and i got it down to about 1.020 after letting it sit another week or two (at a slightly warmer temp) with some cocoa nibs (I did not secondary). I immediately came here and agonized over it. I ended up doing nothing and it has been happily kegged for 3 weeks now and tastes wonderful.

I usually shoot for higher abv brews, but i mean Guinness is only 4%, FWIW. If you are really worried, you could always add a pound of DME to ensure you get above 4%. If you did have lactose in there, i wouldn't expect your gravity to drop much more though. I wouldnt overthink it. Youre gonna have a tasty brew either way. :cheers:

Raising the temperature might help but it's probably done. Don't rack to secondary--taking it off the yeast will prevent further fermentation. Keep in mind that lactose is unfermentable. So if your lactose added 6 points to your OG, for example, your FG will finish 6 points higher than it would without lactose.

I wonder if it is possible that lactose has some other effect on fermentation. I brewed a milk stout late last year and it also finished higher than expected at 1.022--even when accounting for the lactose. My software was targeting an FG of 1.017 and it's rare for my beer to under-attenuate like that. Regardless--my milk stout was delicious and didn't last long. I'm sure yours will be the same.

We'd need recipe to say for sure. As above, if you've got a bunch of lactose in there, it's entirely plausible that that's where it finished.

I do what you did intentionally, with mine 1.045 to 1.021. A combo of high mash, low attenuating yeast, a fair amount of lactose (a little less than a pound). 3.4% is by no means a "sad" beer. It's just quaffable. Good for drinking all day long.

Brewed a milk stout a couple weeks ago, checked the gravity and it seems to have stopped at 1.022, og was 1.048. It's only 3.4abv, pretty sad beer. It tastes good but I would like a little more abv. I'm gonna rack to secondary and raise the temp a few degrees maybe it will ferment a bit more? What do you guys think? I know milk stouts are usually pretty light but this is really light. Been fermenting at 16c for two weeks.

I recently brewed a batch and used a yeast that I don't often use. That beer was at 1.022 at the end of 2 weeks too but I warmed it to 72 and left it for another week and it finished at 1.015, just where it should have. I agree with robcj, moving it to secondary won't help and may stop it from ever going lower.

I agree with the others. If you used lactose, it is most likely done. My milk stouts usually finish in the 1.025-1.022 range.

Latest posts

Back