milk jugs as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
My kids go through about 5-7 gallons of milk a week. I plan on literally having a boat load of blackberries. I have several 1 gallon recipes I want to try and I would hate to have to but that many glass bottles.

So... Can I use them? How long should I use them? I have a dark cool area so I'm not concerned about the light. Thanks for any help

My kids go through about 5-7 gallons of milk a week. I plan on literally having a boat load of blackberries. I have several 1 gallon recipes I want to try and I would hate to have to but that many glass bottles.

So... Can I use them? How long should I use them? I have a dark cool area so I'm not concerned about the light. Thanks for any help

No, I wouldn't. The plastic just seems to hold on to the milk smell even after being cleaned and sanitized.

Do you have any friends or family members that drink cheap wine? I use Carlo Rossi jugs. They use a #6 stopper, and are great for fermenting 1 gallon batches. I even have a "mini auto siphon" for siphoning out of those small jugs. I acquired a few of them by dumpster diving, but if you know people who drink that wine, you could get quite a few for free also!

ok. got it. didnt want to hear but got it. lol.

What about the 1 gal fruit juice bottles for secondary?

I've used the 1 gallon water jugs. Same thing but I didn't have to get rid of the milk taste, etc. They work fine for me.

Cheap wine that comes in 4L jugs makes for decent sangria. So just take some to every picnic you go to this summer.

I too use the carlo rossi jugs and they work great. I have used 1 gal. plastic water jugs before for primary work and that worked out fine as well.

jrodskreet said:

Do they sell milk or juice in your area in glass jugs? I've used glass juice jugs. Works great!

If there are Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby their 365 brand apple juice comes in glass one gallon jugs for about 7.50 which is what some places charge for the empty glass. I think they take a #5 stopper

I've never actually paid any attention to glass juice bottles. We try not to let our kids drink too much juice. But I will have to see if there are any glass ones. THANKS!!!

If your not stuck to 1-gallon, buy some water in 3 or 5 gallon jugs. If you look, you can find them with #1 PETE plastic for cheap. I have also bought 1-gallon plastic bottles of juice for the kids at Costco or Sam's and then fermented in them. I normally only use them once and then discard, but I haven't noticed any major problems. Also, if you look, you can find 1-gallon glass jugs for cheap. My brother's local Hippy store sells them empty, clean and with a cap for $5.

I'm only stuck only 1 gal just for experimentation. I did however go by Walmart, and they have empty gallon jugs they sell to fill up with water at a fill up station. These empty jugs are actually more expensive ($1.50) than the ones with water already in them ($1). I'll probably just buy a few of these. yeah I know I'm a cheap ass.

Gallon drinking water jugs at the stores are like $.87 / each. Cheap as hell. That's what I use.

Back