Mike's Choc-N-Load Chocolate Porter (Partial/Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sappnasty

Reaction score
Fellas,

Brewed this tonight and I will be updating this thread until it is ready to drink. Here is a recipe that was inspired by several porter recipes here on Home brew Talk, but added my own twists and ideas as I went along. Here is what I came up with:

Brew Name:

Mike's Choc-N-Load Chocolate Porter (Partial/Extract)

Batch Size:

5 Gallons

Water:

6 gallons of T.G. Lee Carbon Filtered Water (Six one gallon containers)

Grains/Specialty:

1/2lb Special B

1/2lb of Stout Malt (Malting Co. of Ireland)

1/2lb of Caramunich II

1/4lb of Carafa II Special

1/8lb Black Patent

Extract:

7lbs of Briess Sparkling Amber DME

Hop Schedule:

1oz of US Fuggle (60 minutes) - Whole hops @ 4.5 AAU
minutes)

1oz of US Fuggle (30 minutes) - Whole hops @ 4.5 AAU

Additives:

4oz of Brewer's Best Organic Cacao (Cocoa Nibs)

Yeast:

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Smack-Pack

Gravity:

Original Gravity 1.072

Final Gravity is to be determined

Directions/Step by step:

I started by adding all grains/specialty grains to grain sock. I added all 6.0 gallons of water into kettle and brought up to 150-160F. I then added grains and allowed to steep for 15 minutes while lifting up/down and agitating grain sock. After 15 minutes, I removed grain sock and allowed for grain liquid to drain into kettle. While temperature was 160F, I added all 7 pounds of Briess Sparkling Amber Dry Malt Extract into water. I slowly added as I stirred, careful to mix properly and prevent boil over or DME from sticking to bottom of kettle.

As soon as the wort began to come to rolling boil, I started 60 minute timer and added to first 1oz of U.S. Fuggle whole hops (4.5 AAU). Continued to keep a close eye on the wort, stirring often. At the 30 minute mark, I added the final 1oz of U.S. Fuggle (4.5AAU). Allowed to boil until 60 minutes expired and then immediately brought inside and cooled with wort chiller until it reach 70F. While I was waiting for wort to cool, I used a Colander to "steam" the cocoa nibs (only steamed, not submerged) to kill any wild yeast or possible bacteria.

Shortly after, I removed the wort from the kettle and transferred into the Primary 5 gallon carboy. I then pitched the Wyeast (#1728 Scottish Ale) into the primary when it was also at 70F, making sure to match both wort and yeast at the same temps. (Note* I activated smack pack the evening before and allowed package to swell*). After pitching yeast, I carefully poured all of the cocoa nibs into the primary and subsequently sealed with 3 piece airlock modified as a blow-off valve with 1/2" tubing and into a bucket with Star-San Sanitizer.

I then moved the primary into my cool man room and covered. At this point, this is as far as I have gone and will update this thread as it goes along until the day I pop a top and taste. I plan to allow it to ferment in the primary for 9 days and then racking over to a secondary for another 2 weeks. After I have taken several gravity readings, I plan to bottle and allow to condition for another 2 weeks. I will update and add pictures as I progress.

-Mike Sapp

Just a small update. I took a gravity reading as I noticed everything started to settle down and there was no longer activity in the airlock. I took a quick sample (with a sanitized wine thief of course) and did a gravity reading. It is now officially 6 days since creation and gravity is reading 1.018. According to brewersfriend.com, with a starting gravity of 1.072, I am looking at 7.09% ABV. I am guessing that it will still drop a tiny bit, especially since it has only been 6 days. In addition to the sampling for the gravity reading, I also had to test out the sample. I can tell you this. I could instantly smell a delicious chocolate aroma and then it was on to actual tasting. It was absolutely my best brew I have tasted out of all 25 gallons I have produced so far. It had a slight carbonation to it, and in addition to smelling the chocolate as I begin to sip, I was surprised by the excellently smooth and chocolately flavor. It did not have an overpowering chocolate taste, but was just enough to let you know that the chocolate it there. It was absolutely delicious and I hope that it only gets better. I have decided to rack to the secondary in 3 more days, giving it a total of 9 days in the primary fermenter. I plan to let it sit in the secondary for 1-2 more weeks depending on my subsequent gravity readings. Tonight is definitely a victory for me as a home brewer. I couldn't be more excited! I will update as I move along.

-Sapp

Update*

Will be rebrewing this beer again. It has been an absolute hit with my friends and family. I have been asked over and over to make more...I tell them I am out, but I sneakily have a few left in the brewing room :) What do I need to do to have this as an official recipe?

-Sapp

-Sapp

Latest posts

Back