Might be my first bug.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Black mold on top of the trub settlement in the blow off bucket, not the fermenter. Smelled pretty gross. Popped the top on the primary, looked absolutely fine, smelled a little weird, tasted a little weird. Brewed 9 days ago and was still getting about a bubble a minute. Give it a week? All I'm sure of is I've tasted beers of similar build at roughly the same ferm time and they tasted better than this. Opinions please.

What are you using as the liquid in your blow-off bucket? StarSan is preferred, and prevents growth.

If it's really mold growing there, spores can easily travel up the tube into the fermentor. I'd thoroughly clean or replace that tube + bucket ASAP.

Starsan was used. Do I need to put some sanitized foil over it or somethin? And why on the surface of the trub (underwater) and not the surface of the water?

Latest posts

Back