Midwest IPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
Midwest sent me a 20% off coupon so I decided to try my first Ipa.
i went with this one. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kiwi-crossing-ipa-all-grain-kit.html

Get a taste of the Kiwi homeland with this entirely New Zealand hopped IPA. Bold and exotic hop flavors of orange marmalade, tropical fruit, and light floral notes are balanced with a red-copper, malty backbone and a smooth bitterness. This recipe kit includes: 12 lb. Pale Ale Malt, 4 oz. Crystal 50-60º, 4 oz. Crystal 80º, 3 oz. Chocolate Malt, 1 oz. New Zealand Super Alpha, 2 oz. New Zealand Motueka, 2 oz. New Zealand Pacifica pellet hops, yeast, priming sugar, and a grain bag.

I cant see where they list the abv but I dont think it is to high. After reading the reviews I see where some guys are dry hopping citra to improve the flavor a bit. So I picked up 2 oz from my lhbs. So what would yall recommend? I will be kegging this after fermentation. Should I just dump both in at once? Or stagger the additions. Also I usually dont use a secondary just leave in primary for a few weeks and then cold crash. Should I do a secondary with this one?
Thanks

I'd put put both ounces in for 5 days before legging. If you had 4 oz I'd say stagger 7 days and 4 days. It will be a nice add regardless.

Good luck!

My next decision will be whether to secondary or not. I usually dont any more I just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks. So should I just throw in the hops and leave it for another week before kegging? I am not washing the yeast on this one I just used dry yeast.

No secondary necessary. Just dry hop for a maximum of 7 days and then keg. Make sure to rehydrate the yeast. Keep it simple!

Back