Midnight Wheat in place of Barley products

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownHillonWater

DownHillonWater Brews
Reaction score
I'm becoming quite fond of Midnight Wheat in ALL of my dark beers. I find that it yields a nice smooth roastiness with almost no aging of the beer and that flavor is very stable over time. Compared to all the Barley derived products, Black Barley, Black Patent, Carafa II or III, I'm becoming convinced it's a more versatile and tastier way to go. At this point, I'm using it in Stouts, Porters, Brown Ales, everything....

What viewpoints do others have?

It depends what you’re looking to do. Anything darker that’s on the mellower side will benefit from Midnight Wheat...black IPA, Schwarzbier, Baltic porter, etc. It’s a good option for color correction, but to me it doesn’t bring much roast flavor. Black patent malt or roasted barley are better suited for balancing the full mouthfeel from a porter or stout.

I haven’t noticed any perceptible difference between Midnight Wheat and other debittered black malt varieties (Carafa Special, Perla Negra, Blackprinz, etc.). They’re just different names for the same thing.

Midnight wheat and blackprinz are my go to for dark beers. In fact, I almost exclusively use debittered malts like perla negra and chocolate rye these days. The only time I buy roasted barley is when I make an Irish stout.

Latest posts

Back