Middle of Maine barn brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rairdog. I wondered if that would be a no-no.
I have the floor drains so little leaks are no problem. I planned on leaving everything unglued until I have a plumber look it over and give me tips just like yours.

I've been out of town working the past few weeks but am now back and ready to get at it!
I still need to procure (or build) a few worktables for the brewery but I did score a huge commercial fridge and I big household upright freezer. Not sure how I will use them but the deal was too good to pass up!
I got a port welded onto my BK to install a heating element. I just need to finish the wiring in the brewery to get it up and running. Meanwhile I have an induction cook top that works well enough.
I still haven't installed a heating system in the brewery so only brew when the weather is mild.

I will get some photos up this week on the progress.

Well done beuschen! And welcome back. I don't remember if I followed this post previously, or read about the fire in the paper, but it's good to see you're getting back on your feet.

Well, I managed to wire the 240 outlet for my induction cooker. I put the wire in but need to buy another 240 outlet for my bk controller. I also installed a gfci near the sink and a further 120 outlet where the fridges are. Speaking of fridges, I found the two pictured (one is actually a freezer) on Craigslist. $300 for both. My buddy paid another $300 for the oven you see pictured as well as a 6 burner Vulcan stove. All bought from a guy who is developing an old synagogue.
I still need to figure out an exhaust hood setup so am starting to scour the forum for ideas!
I also need to either buy or build a new brewing table. I may wait to see what SWMBO finds for her cheese making and see if I can use that.

On a side note, I have decided to add beer to my farms value add products! I have received approval from the Feds and have submitted my paperwork to the State of Maine. If I actually succeed in getting my brewery license I will have to come up with a new category as I don't think "nano"quite fits. Attobrewery? Yoctobrewery?
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg

As far as your plumbing goes, it looks like it would be a no-no because of the lack of venting. As it stands, water would be pulled out of one or more traps as the drains are used. An easy fix would be to install an AAV where the drains meet if your state allows.

Otherwise, looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks FK. The barn is on a separate grey water system. no vent is needed.

Last edited:
I have my fermentation cabinet set up with an inkbird and a warming mat. It's still pretty cold up here in Maine so I have not had to plug the cooling side in yet.
Finished the wiring on the BK control and then put an extra long cord on the element as I haven't quite figured out my final layout yet.
I'm just waiting for the gfci breaker to arrive so that I can test it out.
I expect the 4500 watt camco to be a tad faster than the induction cooker.

IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg

Back