Middle of Maine barn brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bueschen

Reaction score
After many months of rebuilding after a devastating fire I am finally getting to the point where i can concentrate on getting back into brewing!

Here is the room as it sits now.

The roughly 12' x 24' space will house the commercial kitchen for our creamery/soap making as well as my brewery.

I have concrete slab floors with drains built in and a dedicated gray water septic system for outflow.

A frost proof hydrant as well as drain-able hot and cold service from the house.
I still have a few more interior walls to construct that will separate the kitchen/brewery from the rest of the barn.
I hope to complete them in the next couple weeks.

The external walls are all insulated and ready for covering.
I still have not decided on a product so am very open to suggestions.

I'll post more pics as the work progresses.

outside-cladding-and-insulation-finished_36963084523_o.jpg

view-from-rear-of-barn_36963084203_o.jpg

back-wall-of-kitchen_37634431161_o.jpg

I'm so jealous of that huge space :D
Looks like SIPs on post/beam framing? Can't tell for sure.
I built a house up in Cow Hampster (Franconia) that way - big fan.
Good luck on the rest of the build-out...

Cheers! :mug:

Unfortunately the 100+ year old barn was completely destroyed.
All you see is brand new.

I assume (I had to google that) SIP is Structural Insulated Panels.
Nothing as fancy as that here. It is all timber framed with no metal strapping or bracing.
The blue you see is simply 2" foam board with spray foam to seal the gaps. The cladding on the outside is 8 inch shiplap pine. Since the structure can stand alone the amount of nailers needed was kept to a minimum.
It's almost a shame to put up walls and hide all the joinery but I am trying to keep as much of it visible as possible.

I assume (I had to google that) SIP is Structural Insulated Panels.
Nothing as fancy as that here. It is all timber framed with no metal strapping or bracing.
The blue you see is simply 2" foam board with spray foam to seal the gaps. The cladding on the outside is 8 inch shiplap pine. Since the structure can stand alone the amount of nailers needed was kept to a minimum.
It's almost a shame to put up walls and hide all the joinery but I am trying to keep as much of it visible as possible.

Is your timber joinery mortise and tenon?

Love that old look. The blue looks like foam rigid insulation. Maybe a DOW product. Looking at 2" is seems like its only R10...is there other insulation going in? No need to worry about warping/bounce with such a wide span on the siding?

@MaxStout: Is is indeed. with wood pegs to reinforce.

@JONNYROTTEN: Exactly right with the DOW call.
R-10 for the 2 inches of styro plus a point or so for the wood cladding.
It may well warp here and there so we generally stay away from things like tile and drywall which is very susceptible to cracking.
Tongue and groove or shiplap actually perform quite nicely in applications like this.

Thanks! The sink for the milk room arrives later this week and the sink for the kitchen/brewery will hopefully be ready next week. I have a couple more walls to build and then we'll be ready to choose a wall covering.
Will update as I progress!

Great looking build so far. I am planning on building a small brew/hangout shed next summer. Nothing close to the size you have. I will be following this thread for ideas.

I haven't decided yet on how to heat for now.

I have a pellet stove but am not really keen to have all that ash mess in a kitchen/brewery.

I'll likely just use a couple oil filled electric heaters.

The long term goal is to install radiant over the slab.

All the plumbing is drain-able so for now it will not be heated full time... only when we are using it.

... of course the back wall of the kitchen is the front wall of the goat stalls so maybe my herd will provide some heat as well!

Pictures look awesome.... Love Maine.... and I have a great deal of respect for you as you appear to be so comfortable with who you are that you were not ashamed to post a pic on here with a Coors Light can in it...LOL...:mug:

@yeahfairly:
Rocky mountain high my friend!
Denver is my adopted home town so there is always a light or a banquet in the fridge!

@yeahfairly:
Rocky mountain high my friend!
Denver is my adopted home town so there is always a light or a banquet in the fridge!

LOL... Not judging... an old business associate owns two Coors distributors. He was our "I've found four Damaged Cases / Free Beer for Deer Camp" supplier. I've drank my share of Coors and Keystone!

Cheers!

Thanks!
I must admit that the photo I posted is from our old herd. Our new herd however is very similar. We found them in two different spots on the East Coast. Not a lot to choose from on this side of the country but it is slowly improving!
The girls actually just moved into the new barn last night.
Lots of angst for the first little while but they are loving life now that they are out of the cold Maine nights!
Now that that portion of the project is complete I can concentrate all my time on the Brewery!

Yikes! Cut back FROM WHAT?
SWMBO has 4 in milk and she has now cut back to once per day. Still a lot of work if you ask me.
What breeds are you milking?

Yikes! Cut back FROM WHAT?
SWMBO has 4 in milk and she has now cut back to once per day. Still a lot of work if you ask me.
What breeds are you milking?

Freshened out 12 (which is a new low for the past 14 or so years), cut back to 10 by end of May. Sold one in August. Fair/show season ended and I've got the annual convention I need to go to, so we brought it down to 5 for the winter to keep the milk customers and SWMBO happy and supplied with milk.

We've been breeding and raising LaManchas for the past 18 years, first in Maine and then 13 years ago, I relocated to NH for a job in MA.

Picture from last week when I brought out a bag of spent grain. Yes, they were drooling.

20171009_175540.jpg

Look great Oginme! I can't wait to start brewing again so i'll have some tasty treats!

This sink arrived yesterday. You can see the tape on the floor showing approximate wall positioning of the milk room which will form part of the back side of the brewery. You can also see we were a bit off on our positioning for the supply and drain coming out of the slab but I should be able to position the sink so the plumbing is not TOO obtrusive.

SWMBO is going to look at three bay sinks tomorrow so I hope to have it next week.

I think it's time to start ordering brewing gear!!!

20171017_195236.jpg

20171017_195300.jpg

Roughed in the milk room walls yesterday and started running the ship lap on the back wall. I need to get this room done quick as the inspector will be in next week.

20171023_134242.jpg

20171023_145151.jpg

20171023_204038.jpg

Not totally related, but I could not send the pictures via private message. The Geurnsey Club display at the ADGA convention in Atlanta

20171025_062925.jpg

20171025_062934.jpg

20171025_062942.jpg

20171025_062948.jpg

20171025_062959.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates. Fall is a busy time and I wanted to get all my outdoor projects finished before the snow hits!
I got some metal roofing panels and installed them on the bottom half of the walls of the brewery which will see the most wear.
I finished the top portion with the same ship lap used throughout.
I just have one more wall to build to close in the room and I can then begin installing the sinks and other fixtures.
I want to put a window in this wall, which will separate the brewery from the farm store so I just need to source the right size.
I should have more updates in the coming days/weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 301
Last edited:
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0606.jpg

Walls are all buttoned up with only a bit of trim work to do.
Plumbing the main sink and the hand wash sink will happen this coming week.
Now that all the construction debris is gone I am realizing what a huge space this is!
I think I will need to build a couple work stations for the brewing and cheese making gear...

Thanks! I started some of the plumbing yesterday. Should have it finished Friday when the faucet arrives. I plan to brew my first batch in the new brewery on Christmas day!

Installed the hand wash sink and added an extra spigot to the hot supply so that I can attach a hose for cleaning the floor.
All the supply lines are in and I pieced together the drain assemblies.
I'm ready for a trial run brew day tomorrow and then I'll finish all the gluing.
I will run a few more electrical circuits for misc. appliances and the boil kettle control and I still need to figure out a permanent heating system but can easily drain the system after each use to prevent freezing for now.
IMG_0649.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! I have been dinged on inspections for traps like that here. It should be a vertical drop to the trap. Probably no big deal but I thought I would mention it if you haven't glued yet.

Back