Microwave yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
I'm scared to put my flask on the stove top. The wording is all Chinese so I don't know if it's the right glass. Can I just microwave it?

Back in my mushroom growing days (sh!takes of course) I used to make liquid cultures, which are essentially the same thing as a small starter, using the microwave with great results.

Just make sure to fry it on high for like 10 minutes and make sure your microwave is clean.

I can't honestly say I have ever nuked a starter, but as I said, liquid cultures are essential the same. In fact, you have to pay even more attention to sanitation.

Just my humble opinion. Someone will probably be along shortly to say I'm silly and it'll never work. :D

I would just boil the wort in a pot then transfer it to the sanitized flask. When you cool it wear eye/face protection and an oven mitt just incase it breaks when you place it in the cold water.

I wouldn't boil it in the microwave.

I was just trying to get the steps down a bit and reduce risk of infection. I'll just do it the way I have and hope for the best. I did watch a video while searching the forums about putting your flask and foil in the oven at 250 for an hour. So I'll do that after I get the krausen out of it from my last starter.

I boil in a saucepan and then pour into my sanitized flasks. Then they sit in an ice bath until they reach pitching temps. No issues thus far. I cant comment of whether to microwave or not. In theory, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

I think the risk of contamination to a starter is mininal. It virtually a moncultural from the moment you pitch(often something like 40 billion cells/L). The same practices as when you make a batch are sufficient. After all once you switch on the stir plate you are constantly mixing the starter with unsanitized aie

Just for the sake of conversation, why not?

I just know that you can super heat water in glassware because there might not be a nucleation point in the glass so you won't see the water boil. This superheated water is like a ticking time bomb and can "explode" if suddenly disturbed. I don't know if this can happen with wort and I wouldn't want to find out.

I'm a bit late to the game, but for what it's worth, I make my starter wort in the microwave in three or four 32 oz. mason jars half-filled. It takes me about 15 minutes to get the wort boiling and hold it for 2-3 minutes in my microwave. I then remove the mason jars with gloves, put a sanitized lid on, and shake it up carefully to mix the DME. I set the sealed jars aside and let them cool down to room temp and then transfer to a sanitized flask. I find this method a lot easier than boiling wort on the stove and pouring it out of the sauce pan or pot. I always make a sticky mess when I do this.

As for exploding water, as I understand, it's really only a concern when microwaving distilled water. That said, it's always important to be careful when working with hot liquids. Here's a Mythbusters video on the topic of exploding (or superheated) water. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0[/ame]

I'm a bit late to the game, but for what it's worth, I make my starter wort in the microwave in three or four 32 oz. mason jars half-filled. It takes me about 15 minutes to get the wort boiling and hold it for 2-3 minutes in my microwave. I then remove the mason jars with gloves, put a sanitized lid on, and shake it up carefully to mix the DME. I set the sealed jars aside and let them cool down to room temp and then transfer to a sanitized flask. I find this method a lot easier than boiling wort on the stove and pouring it out of the sauce pan or pot. I always make a sticky mess when I do this.

As for exploding water, as I understand, it's really only a concern when microwaving distilled water. That said, it's always important to be careful when working with hot liquids. Here's a Mythbusters video on the topic of exploding (or superheated) water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

I would still add a chop stick to the water to be safe. This will give the boiling bubbles somewhere to start.

Here is the quest. Just because it is in the shape of an Erlenmeyer flask, does not mean that it is borosilicate glass, which is what you need to put it on your gas stove. If electric forget it. Personally with it being Chinese I would not take the chance, just boil in another container.

If you wanna be even lazier, only use 1/3 the amount of water you'd normally use with your extract. Next I nuke it till it bubbles then I top off from a bottle of distilled water I keep in keezer. Whole process takes probly 4-5 minutes. For lager starters I'll toss in a few ice cubes to hit pitch temp

Have you ever boiled over a flask on the stove? In the microwave you can't see that happening with enough time to get it off the heat. You risk a massive boil over in the microwave.

Someone mentioned boiling in a pot and transferring to a sanitized flask. They warned to use eye protection and gloves when cooling the flask. Safer and easier is to cool the wort in the pot then transferring to the flask.

I just put my pot in the freezer and check the temperature in 10-15 minutes. Then more frequently until at pitching temperature, transfer to the flask and put it on the stirplate.

If you wanna be even lazier, only use 1/3 the amount of water you'd normally use with your extract. Next I nuke it till it bubbles then I top off from a bottle of distilled water I keep in keezer. Whole process takes probly 4-5 minutes. For lager starters I'll toss in a few ice cubes to hit pitch temp

As a matter of fact, I do want to be lazier, and your idea is genius! I think I'm going to do this next time. Thanks for the tip.

Back