Microscope questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabRatBrewer

Lost in a Maze
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I was given this microscope and it has been in storage. It is a Baush and Lomb and I think it is a 31-33-07 (or the last digits are 09 or 20 according to the power thingy).

I have ordered some prepared slides to play with (I have a 4th grader). And ultimately want to learn to use this to work with yeast.

Can you tell me what type of camera would work with a "binocular" scope like this? Thanks!

20121128_194718.jpg

Those are nice pictures for a cell phone through the eyepiece.

Regarding this microscope, I do not see a port or a way to change the light path to another port. The two silver "screws" on top look like they are holding the eyepiece to the scope.

I do not think this scope is made for mounting a camera.

Many years ago I was given this microscope and it has been in storage. It is a Baush and Lomb and I think it is a 31-33-07 (or the last digits are 09 or 20 according to the power thingy).

I have ordered some prepared slides to play with (I have a 4th grader). And ultimately want to learn to use this to work with yeast.

Can you tell me what type of camera would work with a "binocular" scope like this? Thanks!

• Get a cheap USB webcam ( I used a logitech one).
  • You must remove the lens that is over the camera chip. It's some disassembly with small screwdrivers, but it only takes a few minutes.
  • Now, removed the eyepiece optics from one of those binoc tubes.
  • Tape the lens-less webcam over the tube and then use whatever software you want to take snapshots or video.

This works great. I did it for a year until I upgraded to a rediculously expensive setup (that doesn't work a whole lot better). You can mount the webcam permanently on a piece of PVC, then adapt the PVC to the tube. It will make your life a lot easier when you want to go from normal viewing to cam.

Here's a pic of my old ghetto setup. Webcam with blue painters tape on the left binoc tube of my Olympus scope.

2011-10-14_at_20_09_00.jpg

• Get a cheap USB webcam ( I used a logitech one).
  • You must remove the lens that is over the camera chip. It's some disassembly with small screwdrivers, but it only takes a few minutes.
  • Now, removed the eyepiece optics from one of those binoc tubes.
  • Tape the lens-less webcam over the tube and then use whatever software you want to take snapshots or video.

This works great. I did it for a year until I upgraded to a rediculously expensive setup (that doesn't work a whole lot better). You can mount the webcam permanently on a piece of PVC, then adapt the PVC to the tube. It will make your life a lot easier when you want to go from normal viewing to cam.

Here's a pic of my old ghetto setup. Webcam with blue painters tape on the left binoc tube of my Olympus scope.

2011-10-14_at_20_09_00.jpg

fantastic. I have a unused webcam just begging to be taken apart. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back