MFL on secondary regulator worth extra $?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenness

Reaction score
I am putting together a keezer build and was planning on doing all MFL. I am noticing to do MFL on the taprite 3-way secondary regulator I am getting adds about $30 vs 5/16" barbed. I don't imagine that I'll need to take apart the gas line very often/ever. I'll still do swivel nuts/MFL on the gas disconnects since I already have a few of those with my previous setup. Anyone reading this think MFL into a secondary regulator is worth the extra money?

Thanks!

depending on the valves themselves, if they have a 1/4" NPT threading, you can get some cheap 1/4" NPT -> 1/4" MFL fittings at home depot pretty cheaply.

Do you have a link to the exact secondary you are looking at?

I've personally converted almost all of my fittings to John Guest, and I am a big advocate of them if they work well for your setup. I can easily change the length of the lines, and change from pin lock to ball lock without tools, etc. If your setup is fairly simple, and you don't need to change things very often, it probably won't be worth it for you though.

I can't seem to locate John Guest MFL fittings for the gas side. If I'm thinking correctly, I'll need a 1/4" mfl with a 9/16" push to connector. Is that correct? And do they make them?

9/16 OD typically is for the commercial gas line. If that is what you are using, I don't believe there is a John Guest fitting for it.

The two I know for sure are 5/16" OD and 3/8" OD.

Depending on how much gas line you are currently using, this can either be a slight nuisance, or a deal breaker. You can get all types of tubing that can fit the John Guest fittings. I personally use 3/8" OD bev seal ultra, as that is what I also use for my beverage lines, and I prefer to use the same tubing to keep things simple.

Before I used the bev seal ultra for my gas lines, I use 3/16" ID x 3/8" OD line, which I also used for my beverage lines. I have also used 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD vinyl tubing. You can also use braided tubing if you want a higher safety ratio.

Latest posts

Back