Method of mixing Puree in Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to maximize the contact of pineapple puree in my conical. Ive been blowing 10 psi of co2 up from dump valve for about 5 seconds to rouse up the puree and then gently swirling the conical for about a minute. Ill do this every 2 or 3 days for 2 weeks. Every time i make a fruit beer, the aroma is there, the mouthfeel is there but the flavor is really light and hard to get right up front. Im looking for a way to maximize the flavor so I don’t have to add extract later on. What are your methods? I used a 4.4 lb bag of aseptic pineapple puree for a 5 gallon batch. I usually use a 4.4 lb bag every fruit beer. Do i have to start using 8.8 lbs to get more flavor?

Attachments

• 5859D897-D04E-49DD-8B2D-9D6A998386AD.jpeg
    5859D897-D04E-49DD-8B2D-9D6A998386AD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2264.MOV
    22.5 MB
A few thoughts, just trying to think outside the box here:

You're bubbling enough CO2 through there that you might actually be stripping flavor out, have you tried not agitating it so much?

Have you tried adding actual pineapple juice?

Pineapple is also very acidic, so you might try adding just a small amount of baking soda to a glass/sample to see if it enhances the flavor. Sodium can enhance the flavor and the bicarbonate will raise the pH which can also change the flavor

Have you tasted the puree by itself to make sure it has the flavor level you're after? it could be that you need to recalibrate your expectations based on the puree you're using.

I personally have no issue using a flavor extract in a beer if it doesn't taste artificial, most pro brewers do the same, so there's no shame in using a quality extract.

Latest posts

Back