Method for securing Keggle to Banjo burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
I am building a brew stand and my keggle based HLT is the highest point of my stand. I am using a Bayou Classic banjo burner which my keggle does fit on top of, but its scary close to the edge.

Because of this and because I don't enjoy 170+ degree surprise baths, I would like to provide some additional security for the keggle on the burner legs it sits on so it won't magically hop off during a brew session.

Has anyone attempted to add anything to the burner legs to prevent the keggle from slipping and if so what was it and do you have any examples of it?

Thanks!
David

HLT_Burner_1.jpg

That burner seems to be pretty far away from the bottom of the kettle. Do you burn through a lot of fuel?

ultravista said:
That burner seems to be pretty far away from the bottom of the kettle. Do you burn through a lot of fuel?

Haven't used it yet still in the build stage, but the bottom of the keg is not much further away than a flat bottom pot it since its concave, I haven't heard to many people complain about wasting a ton of fuel with the burners.

Backporchbrewery said:
I've heard of people using grill grates on top of the burner then setting the keggle on it.

I thought of that but it would raise the keg further away from the flame so I hadn't pursued it.

Maybe if you have a friend that can weld, you could weld some tabs on the legs for the keg to nestle into. There doesn't appear to be much material sticking out to allow for many other options other than a grate. Just my opinion. :mug:

I went with a bbq grate - the version made to hold the charcoals. It's about 17.5" diameter, thicker than the food grate, and cost about the same. I had a friend tack weld it to my burner and it works pretty well.

I thought of that but it would raise the keg further away from the flame so I hadn't pursued it.

The BBQ grate works perfectly. I've been using one for quite a while and it is not fastened to the burner. It simply lays across the existing supports. It will raise the kettle a very tiny bit, but we are talking less than 1/4". It's a negligible amount. I did not modify the stand at all and it works just fine. I've never understood the need for the height modification. Maybe there is some big fuel savings to be had, but I'm not convinced that there is or that it's significant.

Catt22 said:
The BBQ grate works perfectly. I've been using one for quite a while and it is not fastened to the burner. It simply lays across the existing supports. It will raise the kettle a very tiny bit, but we are talking less than 1/4". It's a negligible amount. I did not modify the stand at all and it works just fine. I've never understood the need for the height modification. Maybe there is some big fuel savings to be had, but I'm not convinced that there is or that it's significant.

Where did you pickup the grate and what size did you use? Seems like I should give it a try at the very least.

I would be all for welding stops on the supports if possible, but if you don't have a welder readability available.

SS Cable Clamp.JPG

You could attach 4 of these on the supports, threaded end up to catch the inner lip of the keggle. I would attempt to find stainless steel ones it possible. Check the big box hardware stores, TSC or Fastenal

Smug them down to the point they can still be moved by hand. Flip your keggle upside down, place your Bayou Burner on it upside down. Center the keggle up on the burner and tighten down the nuts.

Where did you pickup the grate and what size did you use? Seems like I should give it a try at the very least.

I bought it at Home Depot. It's the lower charcoal grate for a Weber kettle. I bought the largest one they had. I don't recall the diamter, but its a couple of inched wider than the keg all the way around so it must be about 18".

I would be all for welding stops on the supports if possible, but if you don't have a welder readability available.

View attachment 26816

You could attach 4 of these on the supports, threaded end up to catch the inner lip of the keggle. I would attempt to find stainless steel ones it possible. Check the big box hardware stores, TSC or Fastenal

Smug them down to the point they can still be moved by hand. Flip your keggle upside down, place your Bayou Burner on it upside down. Center the keggle up on the burner and tighten down the nuts.

I have 2 keggles with this setup so I am going to also give this a try. Looks like the depot has them so I am going to pick some up today. Thanks for the suggestion!

I bought it at Home Depot. It's the lower charcoal grate for a Weber kettle. I bought the largest one they had. I don't recall the diamter, but its a couple of inched wider than the keg all the way around so it must be about 18".

That's the one I picked up. It's the charcoal grate for the (IIRC) 22" round bbq (the grate itself isn't 22"). There will probably be two sizes there - it's the larger of the two and doesn't have the nice chromed finish. Just about any HD employee will have a tape measure, so they can verify the diameter is around 18".

I used a grill grate myself! Worked great! Strapped it down with metal ties for added security! My first batch on the new one toppled over.... Freinds now wanna call my brewery spillway.

I have 2 keggles with this setup so I am going to also give this a try. Looks like the depot has them so I am going to pick some up today. Thanks for the suggestion!

Glad I could be of assistance. Let us know how it works out.

I used 1/2 length rebar and tied it to the burner top with wire like the contruction guys use when they fabricate the rebar support before pouring concrete in.

cheap, easy, cheap, maintenance is easy, cheap, works good.

Figured out a way to secure the keg to the burner. It came to me as I was installing my sight glass. Since the eye bolt at the top of the sight glass was installed above the water level, I realized that the bottom of the keg has the same sort of area.

So I bought 2 SS eye bolts and 2 SS U-bolts and this is what I got:

IMG_0421_scaled.JPG

IMG_0422_scaled.JPG

Great solution to this issue. Make sure you check those nuts every so often. With the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling they could loosen up. You could also add another nut and jam them together to make sure they are locked in place.

Been using my brew rig with this solution and so far its solid. My rig is on wheels so I move it out into the middle of my garage when I brew and the motion is a great method for checking for loose fittings such as these very important ones.

Latest posts

Back