metallic smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockout350

Reaction score
ok so i just bottled my dos equis clone thats been lagering for a couple months and i noticed that on the top there was a oily like slick and the beer smelled metallic. im not sure what the cause might be unless theres something wrong with my tap water having too much iron but that still doesnt explain the oily-ness. anyone else experience this issue?

ok an update just in case anyone else hits this problem, the xx clone tasted fine no smell or taste but today i bottled a coffee porter and got the same smell but they had none of the same ingredients. i finally deduced what it is, whe i bottle i put my caps in a small container of star sans solution and place it right next to the bottles for convenience. since star sans is an acid sanitizer and caps are metal there is a slight chemical reaction between the two causing the metallic smell. i feel kinda stupid not noticing it before but there you are, it wasnt the beer it was the caps.

Wow, sensitive nose! I soak my caps in starsan as well and have never noticed a metallic smell.
Glad that it is not an issue with contamination or anything bad.

Latest posts

Back