Metal trash can as kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanzela

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm am already anticipating a hefty wave of 'no', but I wonder if one could use a clean (new) metal/galvanized trash can as a boil kettle.

I've heard a little bit about the risk of zinc, but I believe that you'd need to get the temps pretty high to start having issues, and I think the levels of zinc would even be within reason (maybe even good for you, as with the trace amounts of iodine for iodophore users).

I've seen people do the turkey boil, and I've heard of people using them as smokers, but I am really curious about their effectiveness and safety as boil kettles.

I'm not going to touch the zinc issue, I'm sure others will, but I don't think it will work for another issue, construction. Most metal trash cans are not constructed in such a way to hold water. They're usually just rivited or crudely welded together not too solidly.

Thee was an episode of "Dinner Impossible" where Robert Irvine and company were trying to cook on the NY Docks, and were short of soup kettles, but had scrounged some brand new metal trash cans. They tried to do what you're thinking, boil water in them and it leaked through countless seams, so much that it put out the propane burner they were heating it on.

I would be concerned not just about the heat but also the acidity of the wort and how that would affect the zinc.

It just doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

Let me start off by saying no, don't do it. There are plenty of other options out there for kettles

Why on earth would you risk heavy metal poisoning to what, save $20 versus buying an aluminium stockpot?

I mean, it's one thing to be frugal, but this is something else.

If I offered you $20 to do a shot of mercury, would you do it?

And yeah, the acidity's the issue. Wort isn't water.

EDIT: I was looking for a picture I saw a long time ago, of someone who had used a galvanized trash can to hold either wort or beer (can't remember which, both are acidic). The galvinization had been stripped off completely, as I remember the inside of the can was black.

Wow. Well, as predicted, a resounding 'no'. For what it's worth, it's not just about frugality (although I'll admit to being a major penny pincher) - I also love re-purposing, reusing, recycling and the like.

I figured the seam issue might be the real worry, but the lobster boil stuff got me thinking "well maybe...". I hadn't considered the differences the chemical makeup of the wort would have.

Thanks, all, for your advice and for taking it (relatively) easy on me despite my asking a rather batty question.

Stanzela,

What is it you are trying to accomplish in the end? Do you want a cheap way to have a huge boil kettle, or do you just need a brew kettle that can handle 5 gallon batches?

If it's the latter, you can buy a 24 qt stainless steel pot at Big Lots or online for around $20-30, or even an aluminum one for 1/2 that.

[WARNING....RANT ALERT]

It drives me crazy all these people that want to do home brewing, but are looking for a bunch of insane shortcuts to save money. In my estimation, anyone can go from having NO equipment to brewing a batch of extract brew for around $80-100 for MINIMUM equipment. If you can't afford the $80-100, you SHOULD NOT get into the hobby. You don't deserve a cool hobby just because you breathe air, you have to earn it and be able to support it! Go mow some grass, deliver some pizza, work some overtime and save up the bloody $$$. I typically had $80.00 in my pocket when I was 12 years old mowing lawn for the neighborhood association, what's your excuse?

[RANT OVER....PEACE RESTORED]

Sorry, Stan, not directed at you, just a growing trend on the board that's making me nuttttttttts :drunk:

If you can't afford the $80-100, you SHOULD NOT get into the hobby. You don't deserve a cool hobby just because you breathe air, you have to earn it and be able to support it!

Yikes, a little question about boil-kettles and now we're getting into the philosophies of labour, meritocracy and ownership. Deep sh*t.

I guess I'll have to play the contrarian here. There are plenty of good people who would make excellent brewers who might not be able to afford the best-of-the-best for a bunch of reasons. Your comment paints a picture of anyone who can't afford a brew system as lazy, when really there are countless reasons why spending the dough on those sorts of things might be out of the question. A few legitimate excuses I can think of include: people with kids, people who are paying ridiculous money for other things like healthcare or care for a parent/relative, students, or just people who have a hard enough time putting food on the table while working their butts off. Just because these people order their priorities on the principle of selflessness and general do-goodery doesn't mean they don't deserve to brew - that's insane.

There is also a great deal to be said about creativity, innovation, and making the most out of a meager situation. I don't see how asking about re-purposing a trash can necessarily means that I'm looking for some sort of shortcut. Maybe I work for a trash can manufacturer, maybe I have thirty boil-kettles and am still curious about the prospects of using a trash can...I might just be a curious fellow. Maybe I don't want to wastefully purchase a new boil-kettle if I can re-use an old item that was headed straight to the scrap-yard.

I know your comment wasn't directed at me, so I don't take any personal offense, but I really do find the notion that someone who can't afford to brew is 'unworthy' to brew to be an incredibly offensive one. Are the only people who should be allowed to travel and see the world those that can afford it? What if the poor man managed to construct a brew-system without spending that $80? Would that no longer be 'deserved'? Earning something and being able to afford something are two VERY different things. To me, anyone who has the courage, passion, tenacity and innovation to get into homebrewing is more than worthy of the hobby - no matter what their approach.

Here is something kind of related...walking around IKEA one day I saw this thing..

rundel-laundry-bin__0090057_PE234253_S4.JPG

An 18 gallaon Stainless Steel laundry bin It definitely wasn't as hefty as a normal stainless steel pot, but I bet it would hold up to drilling holes in it for fittings. It seems like it would work great for a mash tun..I don't think I would direct fire it though. The bottom was thinner than the rest of it. It would make a great fermenter if there was some way to completely seal the top.

I walked by our stainless trash can one day and had the same thought. I didn't really give the idea much of a chance, but I did think it. Homebrewing is such an addiction, it really starts to screw with your brain.

[WARNING....RANT ALERT]

It drives me crazy all these people that want to do home brewing, but are looking for a bunch of insane shortcuts to save money. In my estimation, anyone can go from having NO equipment to brewing a batch of extract brew for around $80-100 for MINIMUM equipment. If you can't afford the $80-100, you SHOULD NOT get into the hobby. You don't deserve a cool hobby just because you breathe air, you have to earn it and be able to support it! Go mow some grass, deliver some pizza, work some overtime and save up the bloody $$$. I typically had $80.00 in my pocket when I was 12 years old mowing lawn for the neighborhood association, what's your excuse?

Wow... WTF?

I got into homebrewing as a college student with basically no money. No time for a job. I was taking 21-24 credit hours of classes.

$10 plastic bucket.
$3 worth of siphon tubing
$10 bottle capper

I used a 3 gallon cooking pot to boil 2 gallon extract batches on my stove.

I had TWO room mates that split the costs with me, so we were each out a whopping $8 to get into this hobby.

It makes me very sad to now learn that I was not worthy of being a homebrewer.:rolleyes:

first - remember that homebrewing does strange things to us. I mean - how many non-homebrewing American males would ever think to go to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy an Asparagus Steamer!? We're always looking for new ways to do things with existing materials. Its part of the addiction.

That being said - If you need that big of a boil kettle talk to your LHBS about the stainless drums (55Gal) their bulk extract comes in. Or - you can go really big with aluminum for cheap (post thanksgiving turkey fryer sell offs ;)

on the other hand, maybe if you drank milk while brewing (and with the resultant beer), you might be ok?

Well put anonymousbrew! :mug: The homebrewing addiction does change your mindset about things. I'm a die hard DIY'er and am constantly looking for things around the house, in my garage, in stores, on CL, at auctions, etc. that could potentially be used in place of overpriced equipment from HB shops. Once I started with this "hobby" and have gradually progressed, I'm constantly looking for ways to make brewing easier in a cost effective fashion. Some of the comments made by TopherM were off base and I don't understand the superiority mindset portrayed. :confused: I'm a fianancially indepented business owner who could certainly just go out and purchase a prefabricated "plug 'n play" brewing system with fancy new, fully loaded Blichmann's, a $2500 control panel, $700 worth of stainless steel head/housing pumps, etc., etc., but what would be the fun in that. There's a big difference in trying to be cost effective and innovative as opposed to cheap and lazy as TopherM seemed to suggest. I think that homebrewing should be enjoyed by anyone creative and innovative enough to make it happen, regarless of their financial situation. What I love about HBT is the innovation and ideas that passionate homebrewers contantly keep coming up with to make brewing life easier and more cost effective. :mug:

Yikes, a little question about boil-kettles and now we're getting into the philosophies of labour, meritocracy and ownership. Deep sh*t.

I guess I'll have to play the contrarian here. There are plenty of good people who would make excellent brewers who might not be able to afford the best-of-the-best for a bunch of reasons. Your comment paints a picture of anyone who can't afford a brew system as lazy, when really there are countless reasons why spending the dough on those sorts of things might be out of the question. A few legitimate excuses I can think of include: people with kids, people who are paying ridiculous money for other things like healthcare or care for a parent/relative, students, or just people who have a hard enough time putting food on the table while working their butts off. Just because these people order their priorities on the principle of selflessness and general do-goodery doesn't mean they don't deserve to brew - that's insane.

There is also a great deal to be said about creativity, innovation, and making the most out of a meager situation. I don't see how asking about re-purposing a trash can necessarily means that I'm looking for some sort of shortcut. Maybe I work for a trash can manufacturer, maybe I have thirty boil-kettles and am still curious about the prospects of using a trash can...I might just be a curious fellow. Maybe I don't want to wastefully purchase a new boil-kettle if I can re-use an old item that was headed straight to the scrap-yard.

I know your comment wasn't directed at me, so I don't take any personal offense, but I really do find the notion that someone who can't afford to brew is 'unworthy' to brew to be an incredibly offensive one. Are the only people who should be allowed to travel and see the world those that can afford it? What if the poor man managed to construct a brew-system without spending that $80? Would that no longer be 'deserved'? Earning something and being able to afford something are two VERY different things. To me, anyone who has the courage, passion, tenacity and innovation to get into homebrewing is more than worthy of the hobby - no matter what their approach.

Very well stated. I have nothing to add except it could be debated that there is a greater value in re-purposing/DIY (be it for the sake of frugality or creativity) than sucking-it-up-and-paying-full-price-like-a-man.

Wow... WTF?

I got into homebrewing as a college student with basically no money. No time for a job. I was taking 21-24 credit hours of classes.

$10 plastic bucket.
$10 bottle capper

I had TWO room mates that split the costs with me, so we were each out a whopping $8 to get into this hobby.

It makes me very sad to now learn that I was not worthy of being a homebrewer.:rolleyes:

Yeah, but that was before they gave everybody a trophy for playing soccer. :D

plenty of things might be able to be used for a fermenter or a mash tun, but as for kettles, I think not so much .. I wouldn't even try it with a trash can.

Just as a clarification, I didn't mean to call people with a DYI, innovative, or even frugal spirit lazy or cheap. I was more referring to the rash of posters lately asking people to send them free grains/hops and saying that they can't afford ingredients or a $20.00 brew kettle and want other people to figure it out and be innovative for them.

Again, if you can't afford the basics financially, I think you may want to wait until you can instead of posting that you "have" to get into brewing immediately and you have a $0.00 budget to start and expect someone else on the board to come up with a solution for you. I wasn't referring to the OP, I was referring to the rash of charity cases that don't have the patience to save up a little scratch or their own creativity to figure out an alternative.

[WARNING....RANT ALERT]

Damn he had the Ricky Bobby moment there, that rant was said with all due respect.
Talladega20Nights20The20Ballad20Of20Ricky20Bobby-06.jpg

I was more referring to the rash of posters lately asking people to send them free grains/hops and saying that they can't afford ingredients or a $20.00 brew kettle

Personally, if folks are asking for hops & grain to be sent to them because they can't afford them, yet they are online using a computer to do the asking, makes me believe they are underage kids who should not be in the forum in the first place.

Could someone send me some grains and hops? I'd really like to brew but have no money.

The local park has some fire pits that I think I can place my galvanized trash can on a fire to do a boil. I'd like to some grain and hops too please. I may not check PM right away as I use the computer at the library to read HBT.

Personally, if folks are asking for hops & grain to be sent to them because they can't afford them, yet they are online using a computer to do the asking, makes me believe they are underage kids who should not be in the forum in the first place.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Wow... WTF?

$10 plastic bucket.
$10 bottle capper

I also started out on the cheap. A free pickle bucket, a $15 canned Munton's kit, my late grandfather's capper, free bottles from the local bar, and some 3/8 tubing made a decent beer for my first try.

After that first one I was hooked. Now I do full boils, use a cfc, have temperature control over fermentaion, harvest and freeze yeast, use a stir plate (that I made for just the cost of the potentiometer), and make great beer. There's nothing wrong with testing the water before you jump in, just be wise about it.

I don't know how many times I've seen something and thought "I wonder if I can incorporate that into my brewery" or "I wonder if that'll ferment". ingenuity is what built this country .. and our hobby. If you want something bad enough, you should work for it. There are no excuses .. we all started with what we could afford and made it work.

jusware said:
I don't know how many times I've seen something and thought "I wonder if I can incorporate that into my brewery" or "I wonder if that'll ferment". ingenuity is what built this country .. and our hobby. If you want something bad enough, you should work for it. There are no excuses .. we all started with what we could afford and made it work.

The other side of that coin though is the guy giving his friends and family iron poisoning because he's turned a couple of carbon steel drums into a 1 barrel system. There's a definite line between innovation and stupidity

I wonder.....pickle beer ;)

Surprisingly, no. I soaked it in baking soda but never got rid of the smell. I only made a couple of batches before I found a deal on Ebay for $11 6 gallon carboys.

My point is that you don't have to invest $80 to give homebrewing a try. If you like it, you'll spend the extra money later.

The other side of that coin though is the guy giving his friends and family iron poisoning because he's turned a couple of carbon steel drums into a 1 barrel system. There's a definite line between innovation and stupidity

I should have stipulated that after the thought of whether the device could be used, research is always a necessity.

Soon homeless people will be on the corner boiling wort over their barrel fire.

jgerard said:
Soon homeless people will be on the corner boiling wort over their barrel fire.

I would definitely give a homebrewing bum five bucks for grains!

how do you get the "pickle" aroma out of the bucket? I've tried PBW, bleach and baking soda......not at the same time. Still smells like pickles

nevermind. i just read you didnt get rid of the smell

It never went away. But it didn't make it into the beer either. I hear other people haven't been as lucky. I only used it for a couple of batches before I upgraded. I still have some pickle buckets and still use them for other purposes, just not fermentation.

Just some FYI for the group. If u r looking for boil kettle on the cheap, try your local mexican grocery store. Here they have large aluminum "tamale" pots for next to nothing compared to most other places.

deuceontap said:
Just some FYI for the group. If u r looking for boil kettle on the cheap, try your local mexican grocery store. Here they have large aluminum "tamale" pots for next to nothing compared to most other places.

Yep... just don't try to put a valve on one of 'em, and hopefully there is something that you can use underneath the pot as a heat sink. Those things are like glorified tin foil.

Back