Metabisulphate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxyjake

Reaction score
In brewing I use metabisulphate as campden tablets to remove chlorine/chloramine from the water. I know in beer that the boil removes the leftover sulphates. I am about to make my first mead and wanted to do the same but do not know how long I need to boil to do so. Any help appreciated thank you!

If you're using half a tablet (or less) per gallon, you won't need to do anything to remove it.

Welcome to HBT!

Hiya Foxyjake - and welcome. The problem is that mead ain't beer and honey ain't grain. You boil honey and you blow off all the aromatics and flavor molecules. You may as well use table sugar than spend money on quality honey to make a mead if you get the honey close to about 160 F.
The one exception is if you are making a bochet but then you are deliberately destroying the flavors and aromatics associated with the honey and supplementing caramelized flavors but you are also heating the honey to either 230 F or 320 F depending on which sugars you wish to caramelize.

Latest posts

Back