Messed Up Need Advice late use of O2 Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowlboundgman

Reaction score
Long story short. I forgot to use my hop spider and my plate chiller clogged after about 4 gallons made it to the carboy. I dumped the remaining hot wort in to the carboy raising the temp and not allowing me to pitch the yeast until later that night. I did not see any bubbles. I did see foam on the top and some traces of yeast of the edges. (White Lab American Ale with stir plate)
Two days after pitching the yeast I remembered that I forgot to use my oxygen stone to airate the beer. This is where I think I made my mistake. I used my oxygen stone to add o2 to the beer. Did I cause oxidation and destroy my brown ale?
Thanks for the advice

You really only want to add 02 at the very beginning, directly after or before pitching your yeast. Yeast can use up that 02 VERY fast. That being said, I'm sure your beer will still turn out quite drinkable.

Back