Merkur + German Select Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
I've been making Ales for over 10 years, but I haven't made a Lager yet.

I saw some hops on Morebeer.com: German Select and Merkur, and I was thinking about using them to make my first Pilsner. Every recipe I look at online says Saaz or Hallertau.

Does anyone have any experience with these? It's hard to find anything at all on German Select, and what I see on Merkur isn't consistent from website to website.

Thanks!

Sorry, wish I had seen this earlier. I've used Merkur for bittering - plain old boring bittering hop. Select on the other hand is anything but boring - I find it to be quite earthy and spicy, especially late in the boil. A guy near me grows them, sorta commercially - I'm trying to get some of the rhizomes from him. They fit right in with what I like to brew.

I've been making Ales for over 10 years, but I haven't made a Lager yet.

I saw some hops on Morebeer.com: German Select and Merkur, and I was thinking about using them to make my first Pilsner. Every recipe I look at online says Saaz or Hallertau.

Does anyone have any experience with these? It's hard to find anything at all on German Select, and what I see on Merkur isn't consistent from website to website.

Thanks!
You can use whatever hops you like, its your beer....
Hallertauer (German) and Saaz are traditional hops for pilsners (which come from Pilzn which is a city in Czechoslovakia in western Bohemia where the Saaz is from. its a local thing...) , nothing set or written in stone you have to use them.

Sorry, wish I had seen this earlier. I've used Merkur for bittering - plain old boring bittering hop. Select on the other hand is anything but boring - I find it to be quite earthy and spicy, especially late in the boil. A guy near me grows them, sorta commercially - I'm trying to get some of the rhizomes from him. They fit right in with what I like to brew.
I bought a pound of each, so we'll see. I was planning to use the Merkur as my universal bittering hop as I just ran out of Magnum.

I want character from the German Select, and earthy/spicy sounds great to me. I am making mostly Belgians these days.

I will use it in this Pilsner, and if it is wrong I will just have to try the more traditional route.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

Spalter Select (that's the full designation) is cerainly a very fine aroma hop and very suitable for a Pilsner. Certainly much more authentic than Saaz which is from the Czech Republic and is hardly used in Germany.

(which come from Pilzn which is a city in Czechoslovakia in western Bohemia where the Saaz is from. its a local thing...)
Cough... Cough... Czechoslovakia ceased to exist 26 years ago. Cough... Cough...

I was just making a quote from a site about Plzen to explain about Saaz ,take it down a notch.
Take some cough syrup before it turns to pneumonia.

Is German Select the same as Spalter Select? If so there is lot more information about that hop.

Is German Select the same as Spalter Select? If so there is lot more information about that hop.
Yep. The one and only. I think it's actually called German Select only in the US.

Back