melomel questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRN

Reaction score
I've never made a mead before and I would like to give it a go. I'd like to make something that my wife would like, like cherry or strawberry. So I have a few questions.

1. Do you worry about bacteria on the fruit? Do you treat fresh and frozen fruit differently?

2. I've heard melomels do better with long term storage. How do you treat the melomel for long term storage?? Sulfites, secondary, and tertiary fermentors?

3. It seems like some people do multiple yeast additions. What's that for?

4. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I've been brewing for a couple years now but this seems like it would be fun and something my wife would enjoy.

1 - I usually crush my fruit and hit it with campden tablets, however I've made plenty of melomels with just the fruit cut up and lightly rinsed. The chance is there for wild yeast so its up to you.

2 - For melomels I usually have to transfer it a few times to get rid of any fruit pulp and of course the first xfer off the yeast. I don't treat it with anything when I age it unless I'm trying for a semi sweet or sweet mead and stopping any further fermentation after back sweetening. I usually let it sit in a fermenter after I've cleared it from racking for a few months then bottle and age.

3 - I've never done so but you can add multiple yeast strains to balance out flavor profiles that specific strain has. Also if you wish to turn a still mead into a sparkling after the fact you filtered all the yeast out or used a yeast that was low tolerance that can't work in that environment, needing another to prime.

4 - I suggest looking into the TONSA mead nutrient schedules. With mead there is less nutrients via the honey then you would get from a malt build, and the yeast need those for a healthy fermentation. I always re-hyrdate/pitch with go ferm and use Fermaid O TONSA schedule. You could also use a the common NSA nutrient schedule which can use a mix between DAP, Fermaid O, and Fermaid K. My tip would be just be patient. I've had meads that weren't that great on try at like 3-5 months but then a year rolls around and a whole set of other flavors have swept in. Also remember that you don't always have to go high ABV with meads, I've had lots of sucess doing 5-7% refreshing drinkable meads that.

Thanks for the help. I've heard nutrient addition is a must for meads.

Are there any good dry yeast substitutes for wyeast 4184?

You could use any yeast for a sweet mead. Depending on tolerance level of the yeast and the amount of honey you add will get you a sweet mead. I generally stick with Lalvin for high ABV meads, but you could use really any yeast for a mead. I've had good luck with 1388 Belgian for low ABV meads, tend to ferment quicker but develop less qualities over time. To do a natural sweet mead, you can use a calculator at http://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ that will also give you the option to choose a nutrient schedule and how much. Sweet meads use more honey with a lower alcohol tolerant yeast so once it gets to that % the yeast stop eating the sugars and they are left to keep the mead sweet.

Thanks again. One more question, is adding sulfites necessary?? When do you use them? Does it have to do with aging?

You can use them but I don't. They are used be pre fermentation and post. Pre about 24 hours before you pitch into the must to hinder any possible wild yeast. And then post fermentation to for antimicrobial and antioxidant purposes. Although these affects ware off over time. I however just sanitize all my water prior via a boil then add the honey right before it dips below 180 degrees. I have however once used sulfites when I got a honey from a local farm I had cultivated yeast from once, so I new there was a high chance of wild yeast on that honey, but it was completely raw. Commercial honeys have been pasteurized so no need to worry on those.

campden tables and sulfites are the same thing...right?

Back