Mega Meta!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorgiBrew

Reaction score
I seem to be destined to screw up my cider this year. First, I bought 5 gal from a local orchard, only to later read the label and find out it had been treated with K-sorbate. Well, I pitched it anyway, and it's bubbling sloooooowly...

So, I decided to start a new, non-sorbate batch as a backup. For this one, I got 5 gal of pasteurized cider from Whole Foods. Got home and treated it with k-meta (why, you ask? Just wine-making habit, I guess). Anyhow, I wasn't paying enough attention and tossed in 50 ml of 10% k-meta solution, which should be enough for 15 gal at 50 ppm! So much for multi-tasking.

I pitched yeast a couple of hours later (still unaware of my mistake). After 24 hours, I have strong fermentation, so I know the meta didn't kill all the yeast.

So now (at last) my question: the tripple dose of meta didn't kill the yeast, but will it kill me? I know, as time goes on, more and more of the meta will be bound, rather than free. Will things turn out alright in the end if I just bottle age the cider long enough, or am I just wasting my time? If the flavor is fine, is it okay to drink?

When I make wine, it gets several doses of meta over the 12 or so months of bulk aging, so I'm hoping that dosing it all at once will turn out okay. :confused:

Back