Medical O2 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelersrbrun

Reaction score
Brewing this weekend and just got a medical o2 tank with regulator for nothing...pure stupid luck.

1) I don't have time to order a stainless stone, went to an aquarium and got 2 different stone...which should I use:

A) Oceanic BioCUBE Protein Skimmer -Limewood Mini Airstone: it's a wood cube 2x3/4".
OR
B) Lee's - coarse bubble discard-a-stone: is a plastic cylinder.

My only concern is sanitation....ar either of these ok to use if soaked in san-star?

2) What are the correct average time for infusing O2 into a starter and in to wort?

I see a lot of different info anywhere from 40sec to 2min and some say to do it several times in different intervals. None so far with LPM. Any help would be huge. Beer is a 1.096 belgian dark.

Coarse bubbles will just waste your Oxygen. Sanitation is not the issue for a one time use it's the fact that the wort will not take the Oxygen any better than vigorous shaking or spraying.

for this weekend the cheapy coarse stone throw away is a better choice. your sanitizer will work better on it than the first one listed.

run the O2 slowly and that will give you better bang for the buck. you don't want a foaming surface or tons of bubbly ripples.

I was led to believe that the only stone you should use was sintered stainless steel.

Ditto here. Its what I roll with.

BTW what you have is not 'medical oxygen' it is 'aviator's oxygen' ;). Up here in Canada, call it medical and they can't fill it without a prescription. Ask for Aviation oxygen and they fill your bottle from the same tank that medical comes from lol.

I don't know if the prescription deal is the same where you live, but it might be the easier way to go. I got my information from the guy who works at Air Liquide (big gas retailer up here) FWIW...

Human that is great advice....I gotta ask around. I'm just gonna roll with the wood. It's bubble pattern is so much finer than the plastic. Any feedback on times? It has a medical regulator so I can run it slow I just have no idea how long.

with my stainless airstone and 'red O2 tank' i hit it real slow for no more than 45-60 seconds..constantly moving it around the bottom of the fermenter.

Thanks....I didn't end up brewing, I was late making my starters so it will be sometime this week/end. I hit each 2 liter starter wort for about 30 seconds. I read two minutes for the fermenter a few places....too long huh?

I cannot find a good source for this informtion and every one I read contridcts the other.

Latest posts

Back