Measuring pH in carbonated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Will carbonation throw off a pH reading? I realize that dissolved CO2 results in carbonic acid, which I'm sure lowers the pH, I just don't know to what magnitude. That's not what I'm talking about though. Carbonic acid contribution aside, will the literal "bubbliness" of the measured liquid throw off how the equipment reads the true pH?

I have a pH meter in the mail, and I've got a sour beer on tap. I was just wondering to myself, if I measure a sample without degassing, will it be accurate?

did you try to measure a degassed sample vs. one with gas, then compare the results?

I don't even have the meter yet, it should arrive tomorrow. This question just came to me as I was thinking about testing what I have on tap.

If you are just experimenting it would be worth your while to do both. It will give you experience using the meter and let you know the difference.

I don't know why you would need to know that information, but post the results.

I was wondering this myself recently and I had the opportunity to test this just now. I pulled a sample of my cold crashed beer, and then quickly force carbed the rest to around 2.5 vol.

Uncarbed: 4.57
Carbed: 4.58

I'm calling them the same given the margin of error.

I was wondering this myself recently and I had the opportunity to test this just now. I pulled a sample of my cold crashed beer, and then quickly force carbed the rest to around 2.5 vol.

Uncarbed: 4.57
Carbed: 4.58

I'm calling them the same given the margin of error.

It should be exactly the same, as pH meter measures concentration of ions, and CO2 molecule is neutral. Bubbles shouldn't affect pH either, I wouldn't think - unless there are so many of them, conductivity path is modified (like in a foam, I would guess)

Back