Measuring Element Heat Density

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

processhead

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a calculation that defines the heat density rating of an unrated heating element?

I am guessing you need to know the wattage and the overall length of the element. Any other variables?

Thanks!

You need to know the diameter (or really the circumference) of the actual heating part too.

The calculation is of course circumference X length, and since they are all fold back, multiply that by 2.

That gives you surface area. Divide the surface area by the wattage, and you have the "watt density" which allows you to determine whether it's High/medium/low/ultra-low.

You need to know the diameter (or really the circumference) of the actual heating part too.

The calculation is of course circumference X length, and since they are all fold back, multiply that by 2.

That gives you surface area. Divide the surface area by the wattage, and you have the "watt density" which allows you to determine whether it's High/medium/low/ultra-low.

I am good with the calculation. Is there a published chart showing how the watt density value translates into the High/medium/low/ultra-low rating categories?

There is I don't remember where but I had the same question once.. I believe brewhardware com does mention the criteria for what meets what.

I have a 4000 watt spa element that is approximately 33 inches long and just under 1 inch in circumference. It has a density of about 121 watts per square inch. My gut tells me it is probably not anywhere close to ULWD but may be LWD.

I have a 4000 watt spa element that is approximately 33 inches long and just under 1 inch in circumference. It has a density of about 121 watts per square inch. My gut tells me it is probably not anywhere close to ULWD but may be LWD.

I believe thats lwd... ulwd is like 60 or 80 wsi or less if memory serves me right but I could be wrong... that would make yours close actually.

Latest posts

Back