Mead virgin...what does it taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It tastes kind of like a wine made from honey might taste. It can be sweet or dry, or anywhere inbetween. It can be carbonated or still. It's mighty tasty and the honey aspect can be delicate. Make a gallon and you'll have first hand experience.

Too many variables to say exactly.......

From something that can be very like a dry white wine through to watered down honey with alcohol notes (and thats just for traditionals).

Many more variations if you think of melomels, methyglins, braggots, etc etc. Are they all fermented flavour or have some had the non-honey ingredient added in secondary for a more fruit/spiced/malty/whatever flavour etc etc.....

Buy a few different types and see will be your only way or trying, or make some to one of the regularly used recipes (JAO ?)......

What does it taste like?
Is it carbonated?
Mouthfeel?

No idea...
I was in the same spot a couple months ago, so I started here;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

Read 1500 posts, and started a batch of what many bill as the "perfect total noob's mead recipe" - so I'll know in another month-ish or so how it tastes!
I figured what the hell.. excluding the 3 gallon carboy, I'm only in about $40.. which is less than buying a single bottle of mead (at least, the ONE and only bottle I was able to find locally...).

Thats a veeerry huge question. That's like saying "what does beer taste like" or wine or cheese.

The only ingredient that meads have in common is honey. Other than that, it can be anything. There are traditionals, melomels, metheglins, acerglyns, pyments, cysers, braggots, bochets... the list goes on. Mead is a huge and fascinating field to jump in to.

I highly suggest doing the JAOM first. It's cheap, nearly foolproof, and pretty damn tasty. I keep a batch of it around for mead-virgins because it's sweet and drinkable and it's a good "gateway mead."

Good luck and happy mazing!

I just tried some I made while racking it to secondary. It tasted like chardonnay to me but a bit sweeter.

Why is nobody suggesting he buy some? Hey, buy some.

Making some and waiting a month is backwards to me.

The only thing I can add is that it's generally (but not always) sweeter than grape wine. That is, a dry mead is as sweet as a sweet grape wine, and a sweet mead is REALLY sweet.

Back