Mead transfer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
Ok, so I put my melomel into secondary today. I did 2 cans of blackberry puree.
When I transferred I must have got some of the fruit because here is the top of the new carboy.

2 questions.

1. Should I rerack again in the morning? Or leave it alone hoping no O2 exposure and the headspace filled with crap.

2. Topping up.....can I top up with a reisling wine? I would prefer not to use water and do not have marbles.

Thanks

mead.jpg

It's hard to tell in the pic if that's fruit or just fruity foam from fermentation. I wouldn't be worried about it either way.

You can top up with whatever you like, you shouldn't need much if any at all. It looks pretty full to me, I don't think it would oxidize.

The stuff at the top of the carboy is the same layer of stuff that was sitting on top of the bucket before transfer. I must have just sucked some up accidentally and it is now floating at the top of the carboy neck.

I may end up sanitizing a spoon and just scoop out what I can.

Its fruit debris by the look. You can either scoop out or stir it in and keep doing so until it sinks.

Its unlikely to oxidise, but the crud might dry out and introduce off flavours, and if you don't want to keep opening to stir down the cap the scoop out would likely be best.

Why would you top up with a reisling ? At least use a similar looking red......

Its fruit debris by the look. You can either scoop out or stir it in and keep doing so until it sinks.

Its unlikely to oxidise, but the crud might dry out and introduce off flavours, and if you don't want to keep opening to stir down the cap the scoop out would likely be best.

Why would you top up with a reisling ? At least use a similar looking red......

It was my first wine, and I topped that one up with water. It has quite the watered down taste and wanted it to have some purpose :)

Back