mead clarificarion and golden syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpbrew

Reaction score
Hi, I make mead alot, both a sweet and a dry but I always have difficulty with clarification, it always remains slightly cloudy, has anyone got any suggestions. Now the next question I wasn't sure if this should be in this forum or not but here you go, I made a golden syrup wine which is clarifying nicely as I type, I was considering putting some oak chips in and leaving it for a month to see how it pans out, has anyone made this before and have you got any suggestions.
I look forward to hearing about this.

Out of the the meads I've made, two have been very slow to clear, I think maybe because they will not degass naturally and I refuse to invest in a degasser or whip it, so it will sit until it clears naturally, however long that may be. The one batch is at 8 months and counting, but I have patience and other things to drink in the mean time. :)

Are you using anything other than honey/yeast/water/nutrient?

If you have room putting it in a fridge might help. I know this stalls out an active ferment and the yeast drop down, I did that with one of mine and it cleared right up. However I'm not sure if it works if the ferment has been done for some time. I'm having the same issue with one of my meads right now.

For 2 of my other meads I used sparkloid and it cleared up within a few days...just depends if u want to add stuff to it.

What yeast(s) did you use yeast in your meads? It's possible that may play a role in how quickly it clarifies.

Honey type also plays a clarity factor, off the top of my head; Meadowfoam takes 6 months+ to clear. I'm sure other varietals have different times.

I used wildflower honey and 71B-1122. Ive used only clover in the past and didn't find any issues. And it's also my first time 1122. Any experience with either of these factors?

I love 1122, and have only had one take a long time to clear, and I blame that on the honey variety.

Sh1tloads of reasons why a batch may take a long time to clear.

How about whether it's actually a normal, yeast based haze or not ?

Is it just that it needs degassing to clear properly ? or maybe it needs to be cold crashed ?

If it's got fruit in it, is it a pectin haze and needs pectic enzyme/pectolase....

Or maybe it depends on the honey type, and if it's a raw, varietal type that is known for protein problems, like heather honey, so maybe it needs heavy duty, 2 part finings like Kwik Clear (keisol and chitosan type) ?

Could it be some sort of starch issue ? and need some amylase to help it along ?

The point about getting a batch cleared properly is twofold. Sediments left in will drop out over time, and can, in some cases, cause off flavours.

Equally, you have to try to get as clear as possible, because as people, we're funny beasts and presume that "gin clear" means good, so brews need to be as clear as anything that might be commercially produced, because we expect them to be like that i.e. aesthetically pleasingly clear........ whether it's home brewed or not.

The maker themselves is likely to be less concerned, but anyone else who drinks your brews would likely to want them clear like a wine (well a white wine anyway).

Reds are less likely to be filtered clear, because many of them are dark enough so that you don't see that they're not that clear, but often find some dark, pigmentation at the bottom of the glass.

Hence it's up to the maker whether any sediments left in might be an issue or not.......

Thank you all, I shall have a look in to all of that and see if my next batches are clearer, thank you again for a relative newby such as myself all this sort of come back is invaluable.

Sparkaloid is a wonderful fining additive solution for this problem.
That stuff works wonders on meads, ciders, and wines! Get a little pouch at your local HBS or online and follow the directions. It works in just a few days, you can almost watch it clear out from top to bottom.
Now if this doesn't do the trick then you have more than just a yeast haze and will have to explore other reasons, but most likely it will do the trick for you.

Thank you for that I will most certainly give it a go on my next batch, it's funny how I have this problem with the mead but my mead ale has come out lovely and clear thanks again

Back