Maybe I'm not so sure now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashTunnelOfLove

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember from years ago when I did my other couple of batches but I don't think I've seen this sort of stuff on the top of the beer. I racked to a secondary after 13 days. I used a carb cap, stainless cane and one of those 'sterile' filters to blow in after rinsing with bourbon and listerine. I tried searching on here for other pictures but nothing quite matches what I have here. Lots of little bubbles but there are some solids and some type of surface cloudiness. Doesn't seem to fit in with the yeast rafts or other things you all have been calling the items in the other pictures.

What do you think?

Attachments

• image000000 (4).jpg
    image000000 (4).jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image000001 (2).jpg
    image000001 (2).jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 104
Might be OK. Some yeast flocculates funny. I had one once (1968 I think) that looked like cottage cheese.

At this point let it go and give it a taste.

Also look into secondaries, current general thinking is unless you want to leave something a long time (i.e. months, not weeks) just skip it.

I couldn't say for sure that isn't yeast. Looks a lot like clumps of yeast that might have a little CO2 trapped in the middle causing them to float to the top. Give the beer a taste. If it tastes ok probably nothing to worry about. If you see more of these clumps grow or change into something else then it might be time to worry. (Wild yeast can make these clumps but so can domesticated brewing yeast.)

What yeast strain did you use? As tracer mentioned above, some yeast just look different/weird. I've seen certain ale yeasts pour from the WYeast pouch like putty, cottage cheese, and everywhere in between.

I had another post on here that went over my brew day... not my proudest moment. Definitely did not write down what yeast I used. Just had the local shop set me up with what I needed for the style I was after. All I remember is that it was a wyeast liquid pouch.

Yeah, it happens. SOme days are just off. The more you do it the better you get. And if you're like most of us that drives you to get better not quit. We're all suckers that way LOL. Even after decades I screw it up, I bet everyone has a few stories.

Yeah, it happens. SOme days are just off. The more you do it the better you get. And if you're like most of us that drives you to get better not quit. We're all suckers that way LOL. Even after decades I screw it up, I bet everyone has a few stories.

Would it be unwise to cold crash right now, keg it being careful to just keep the racking cane in the center of the mass of beer, and only use as much as I can comfortably draw up avoiding both the top and bottom? I'm under the impression that if its palatable not much can hurt you.

I've had similar looking particles in my brew. It fermented all the way. No off flavors. Don't over think it. The more you check it the more chance of introducing bad bugs. I'm fairly new to this but I like to experiment. Every one of my batches has had different smells, different looking krausen. They all turn out in the end.

I've had similar looking particles in my brew. It fermented all the way. No off flavors. Don't over think it. The more you check it the more chance of introducing bad bugs. I'm fairly new to this but I like to experiment. Every one of my batches has had different smells, different looking krausen. They all turn out in the end.
This is pretty solid advice. Let it ride!

If it's been 13 days it is probably done. Do you have a hydrometer? Or any other way to check gravity? If it's quite low then it is probably indeed finished. If you earlier saw a lot of activity but now no, then again probably finished.

I'd cold crash it and then keg it if that is what you do, or move it to a bottling bucket if that is your process. SOmewhere in there get a sample. What sort of fermenter? If it's got a spigot then just pour some out and try it. If it tastes bad spit it out, if it tastes good, celebrate!

But - if you think it's done fermenting, yes cold crash it. It's free to try.

The orange bits look like the last of normal yeast hanging around.

Pictures can be deceiving but there appears to be a thin film forming which makes me wonder if there’s a pellicle infection. It might just be the glare. That said, don’t worry, it doesn’t mean it’s a dumper but I’d keep an eye on it.

If it's been 13 days it is probably done. Do you have a hydrometer? Or any other way to check gravity? If it's quite low then it is probably indeed finished. If you earlier saw a lot of activity but now no, then again probably finished.

I'd cold crash it and then keg it if that is what you do, or move it to a bottling bucket if that is your process. SOmewhere in there get a sample. What sort of fermenter? If it's got a spigot then just pour some out and try it. If it tastes bad spit it out, if it tastes good, celebrate!

But - if you think it's done fermenting, yes cold crash it. It's free to try.

It's just a glass 5gal carboy. When I pulled from the primary it was only 5 points above what I expect to finish at. I think I'll chill it and then keg. I'll get a sample at that point. Pretty sure my ales are just going to stay unmolested int he primary from now on.

had another post on here that went over my brew day... not my proudest moment.
Yeah, it happens. SOme days are just off.
Yup. I'll go you one better... i had a hot-side brew day that was, well... after a few too many. Let's just say i may have rushed/missed/sloppy executed a few of the steps.
Worst part was... that has been my best brew to date!
Taught me two things:
#1 good beer starts on the cold side. Thia is where i get the best return on my time and process
#2 have fun and don't overthink it. It's a hobby. Enjoy it! (Aka RDWHAHB).

Pretty sure my ales are just going to stay unmolested int he primary from now on.
Yeah, you're going to get a LOT of people preaching that - myself included. The only reasons to utilize a vessel beyond that for primary fermentation is if you're doing long-term aging and need to get the beer off the yeast cake, or if you're doing some atypical clearing/brightening stage (with fruit, hops, etc.). Anything else is just unnecessarily inviting the potential for oxidation and contamination (no matter how careful you are). It's a straight up numbers thing.

Back