Maybe don't leave silicone in a bucket of starsan for 2 weeks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram5ey

Reaction score
Found this in the bottom of a bucket of starsan. Was one of those clear silicone TC gaskets from the 7gal Chronical. I must have not noticed it and then left it in there for about 2 weeks. Now it's is totally opaque white and powdery.

Did make me laugh though.

1437600667868-273785828.jpg

It's pretty strong stuff, especially if not diluted enough. I've accidentally left siphon tubing in StarSan overnight and the next day it had this gooey feeling to it, almost as if it was starting to dissolve. That's crazy that it changed the color though.

I've also had plastic tubing get milky-colored and slimy after a day or so soaking in StarSan. A few minutes is plenty!

I have the end of a tube of silicon used for a blowoff sitting in starsan for weeks at a time. The end submerged turned the same color.

I thought I was the only one. The bottom of my funnel/strainer began disintegrating after a couple of days in Starsan solution. Lost an inch in height, but still using it.

I left my autosiphon in oxyclean for a few days and it discolored the tubing but luckily the siphon is fine

Back