Maybe 3 extract batches on a budget.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodflow

Reaction score
I have been working on making 3 extract recipes, one stout, one IPA, and one wheat beer, for as cheap as possible, and so far here is what I have. I could really use some input.

To start off, I went to morebeer.com because they have free shipping over $59, and they sell cheap LME which I discovered was cheaper than DME. I planned to use 6 lbs per recipe. Here are the prices for the styles I chose.

Porter/stout dark LME: $15.90/6lbs
Pale LME: $18.60/6lbs
Bavarian Wheat LME: $16.50/6lbs

This brings my price to $51. I would be happy to just make 3 batches of stout since it is cheapest, but I have my wife to think about. I then went through their entire selection of hop pellets to find the cheapest they had.

Cluster 6.99/8oz
Nugget 6.99/8oz

According to a few different sites these hops are general purpose or dual purpose. Originally I planned on not using specialty grains, but I have changed my mind, but I would like to find grains that would work for multiple recipes to keep the overall number of grains as small as possible. Here is what I came up with.

Crystal 60 - I know that Crystal malts are used in both wheat beers and IPAs. I chose the Crystal 60l because I thought I could also use a little in the stout since the Stout LME is made with Caramel 60. I know it's a little darker than normally used for IPAs and wheat beers, but I thought if I kept it to 4oz or so it might be a good compromise. Other than that I thought about buying a pound of cherry wood smoked malt, but only using maybe 4 oz in the porter, along with the remaining half pound of Crystal 60l.

Their cheapest yeasts were Safbrew S-33 and Safbrew T-58. The yeasts I chose were Safbrew T-58 for the wheat, Nottingham ale yeast for the stout, and dry yeast Bry-97 for the IPA.

I need someone with more experience to tell me if any of this will work. I'm looking for suggestions on hop schedules and any suggestions in general. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back