May have overcarbed cider. Bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bottled a dry-hopped cider a week ago and I'm concerned I might have bottle bombs. The cider was fermenting for two weeks and I assumed that it was completely finished because the yeast had dropped out and it was clear. So I went ahead and bottled it with .9oz table sugar (for a 1 gallon batch), but when I checked the gravity afterward (I took a gravity sample before adding the sugar) it was 1.000. My concern is that I might have bottled too soon. I've made ciders before that ended at .996, so can I assume that this batch will be the same? How long should I wait until I put them in the fridge? Should I try to pasteurize? If so, when should I do that?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Only way is to try cracking one now and seeing how carbed it is... if it gushes, ur passed that point where its considered normal carb. Maybe put one some safety glasses and gloves if ur really worried about it. I was worried with mine and i was right, the one gushed so bad it almost hit the ceiling of my kitchen above the sink.

Only way is to try cracking one now and seeing how carbed it is... if it gushes, ur passed that point where its considered normal carb. Maybe put one some safety glasses and gloves if ur really worried about it. I was worried with mine and i was right, the one gushed so bad it almost hit the ceiling of my kitchen above the sink.

I might just have to do that then.

Latest posts

Back