May have killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karzak

Reaction score
I have been aging out this beer since February on Wyeast 3724 and the dregs from a bottle of Boulevard Saison Brett 2013. Mash temp was 150F, fermentation temp was 68F and everything was going smoothly.

By around May the beer had stalled at 1.020 and I was planning to heat up the beer gradually using a heated floor mat. I had it hooked up to an outlet with a timer for about 12 hours when I realized that the timer was off and I had heated my beer to ungodly temps (sample I pulled registered 136F). I backed it down quickly to 90 and have been holding it about there (+- 5F) for 2 months. The problem is that the beer hasn't budged since the day I heated it and I fear I have killed my yeast, or done enough harm that they won't be able to finish up.

I've tasted the beer and its definitely worth keeping (but way too sweet for a saison), so I'm looking for advice on whether I should pitch more yeast. I don't think I could have done anything to make the remaining sugars unfermentable, but I'd like to make sure before I decide on anything. If I do pitch something, I was thinking Wyeast 3711 and the dregs from this year's Saison Brett. Sound reasonable?

Many Thanks.

Pitch wyeast 3711 French saison yeast. I've seen that used by many on this forum to finish stuck ferms

Latest posts

Back