Maximum utilization of home grown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H20ENG

Reaction score
I have been growing hops for the past several years (several plants, around 4-6oz/season) Since I don't know the AA% I only use them for dry hopping.
After removing the whole cones from the fermenter, I can still see the lupulin sacs intact. If the cones are broken or pinched open, they smell incredible, telling me I am only getting minor utilization of the hops.
I have thought of grinding them in a coffee grinder then mesh bagging them to dry hop. Likely would need to rinse the grinder with a shot of vodka to clean the oils from it (which of course would go into the beer).
Does anyone grind/smash or otherwise macerate your whole cone hops for better oil extraction?
Some authors have spoken about reusing these post dry hop cones for bittering, but it would be tough to figure remaining AA%, especially not knowing the value at the start.
I love having my own hops in my beer and want to make sure I'm getting all that lupulin!
Thanks all!
Chris

I put mine through a meat grinder. A while back I started a thread about this in the hops section. I dried them then ground them, vacuum sealed and froze them. The experts on the thread said I likely wrecked them - oxidation, etc. But when I open them I get a lot bigger hop aroma than with whole cones, and I fully believe I get much better utilization. I also use them in the boiler where they behave just like pellets. Being a homebrewer I use typical values for AA content and then don't worry about it - the beer is always good. I haven't used the ground ones for dry hopping yet, but I intend to try it. I plan to put them in a paint strainer bag.
Now days I pack and freeze them whole and then grind them just before use. The downside is you will have about half an ounce in process in the barrel of the grinder when you stop. I just remove this partially ground remainder, repack it and put it back into the freezer for next time when it is the first to go through the grinder. Anyway it works for me.

I'm fairly new to hop growing but have used my own a couple times as a 10 or 15 minute addition to the boil. I rolled the whole cones in between my palms as I put them in to break them up and release the lupulin.

Thanks all for your thoughts.
I like the idea of grinding just before use. Also had thought that putting them in on the hot side would get more extraction. May use these for late additions then stick with pellets for the dry hop.
Our long hot NorCal summer played havoc with my hops this year. I only have 1/3 of my normal crop :(

I haven't mashed up my hops to pop all the lupulin, but I have used my homegrown hops for bittering additions for almost all my beers for the past ~10 years.

Based on taste and much experimentation and experience, I can tell you that my homegrowns average alpha acid is slightly above mid-range for whatever is typical per online or software. My Hallertau have averaged about 5.0% alpha for the past 9 years, and Cascade at 6.1% alpha. This assumes of course that I am smart enough to detect when my beer tastes "too bitter" or "not bitter enough" for the style I've made. But it's been MANY years since any of my beers have been "way off" from the target. They come out quite consistent actually.

Hope this might help. Cheers.

Back