Max grain bill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboygentry

Reaction score
Quick question, anyone know the max grain bill would be for one of those 5 gallon paint strainer bags from menards be? Can it hold 10 plus pounds? Thanks for all your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know they can hold 10# of wet grain because I've done it with one. I haven't tried more so I'm not sure. It felt somewhat sturdy though.

There are also steam and boil baskets that fit within kettles for that purpose which could make lifting the bag easier. Wish I had known that when I bought my first kettle!!!

I will report back as soon as I brew again. Should be a couple of weeks. Thanks for the insight. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, I finally got around to brewing (sorta) my RIS. I mashed/sparged tonight and will boil first thing in the morning.

19.75 lbs went into the bag - and nothing split! I was able to pick it up no problem (well, other than the fact that it was heavy to say the least). I do a batch sparge with my BIAB and hit almost 70% efficiency. I usually get about 75%, so was thinking I'd be closer to 60-65% on this brew (1.115 OG).

Anyway, I don't think my current setup could handle much more grain. I mashed with a 1.333 water/grain ratio and my pot looked like this before I added the roasted grains:

image1.jpg

Well, I finally got around to brewing (sorta) my RIS. I mashed/sparged tonight and will boil first thing in the morning.

19.75 lbs went into the bag - and nothing split! I was able to pick it up no problem (well, other than the fact that it was heavy to say the least). I do a batch sparge with my BIAB and hit almost 70% efficiency. I usually get about 75%, so was thinking I'd be closer to 60-65% on this brew (1.115 OG).

Anyway, I don't think my current setup could handle much more grain. I mashed with a 1.333 water/grain ratio and my pot looked like this before I added the roasted grains:

View attachment 240087

So you can fit almost 20 lbs of grain and 6.5 gallons of water in a 10 gallon pot? Interesting.... Is there a good calculator or formula for figuring out what volume of water your grain will displace?

I believe the OP was referring to a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I have a voile bag I made from a slider panel that has held up to 27 LBS ( dry) grains, but it is far larger than a 5 gallon paint bag. To the OP: If you're ready to obtain a purpose built bag, it should be big enough to put your brew kettle inside.

Back