Masstoberfest 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all! My wife and I would love to join you if thats okay. I could bring a keg of black rye ipa that should be ready by then.

I ran out of Kaiser 3 years ago and haven't been able to afford the malter since then. Paul or Bird, please share 1.5 lbs for my 25 gallon batch of mamas tet honey stinger clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll bring a six tap cold box - I need to use it as much as possible to justify why I built it and why I used Perlick 525SS taps on it -

I have a keg of IPA that I brewed with Heady Topper yeast that I plan on bringing, though it was never meant to be a clone.

Anyone know if smurf is going to brew with rocks again? I'd like to see that process through one more time-

Does he use the same "rocks" all the time? What type of stones does he use? Does it matter?

I just kegged a beer with Heady topper yeast (Conan). But I wanted a fruit bomb. I used Galaxy, El Dorado and Mosaic. I may make another batch just for this event.

I haven't seen Smurf in a while, I have to reach out to him. I posted a Masstoberfest thread on TWB's forum but that has been a ghost town lately for everyone except for Smurf who seems to go there a bunch. I wanted to get by TWB this weekend but it didn't happen. Need to check in with PTO, Yeager and Steve re: fishing trip.

Have You Seen Me?

Have You Seen Me.jpg

Incidentally, I vote for jacking up the steinbeer this year; like, let's buy a bag or two of coal, proper coal, and hook up a hair dryer or lead blower or something to stoke the fire a bit bit.

Incidentally, I vote for jacking up the steinbeer this year; like, let's buy a bag or two of coal, proper coal, and hook up a hair dryer or lead blower or something to stoke the fire a bit bit.

I'm uber into that idea. Ive wanted to make a blacksmith forge out of an old wheel drum forever.

Well, Hoosac Valley Coal & Grain is right downtown from me. Won't help you before Masstoberfest, but I can bring some out for the steinbier if you want. Premium anthracite!

Well, Hoosac Valley Coal & Grain is right downtown from me. Won't help you before Masstoberfest, but I can bring some out for the steinbier if you want. Premium anthracite!

If you can do that it would be great Jay. I have no idea what a bag of coal costs, how long it lasts, etc. would we need more than one?

I'll try and get down to Hoosac Valley there next weekend. I've got to believe than one bag will at least last for one brew session, but if you're serious about doing the whole blacksmithing thing then you'll need to source some out down there regardless. Murphy Coal & oil looks like it's right down the street from you; might give them a call and see if they sell bagged anthracite coal.

The absolute LAST thing I need right now is another hobby to chew up my time. Just had a meeting with my advisor for school today. Looks like Masstoberfest is going to be my last truely "off" day till Christmas. So no, I don't need to set up a blacksmithing shop right now. Maybe when I'm finally done. Of course I'll be to old to swing a four pound hammer by then.

I'm pretty sure Paulie's whole plan for Masstoberfest this year is to get a bunch of free labor to get that thing finally built. You'll be in charge of mixing the mortar; I'll be responsible for making sure everything's level. Paulie'll supervise.

My old man's got a pile of STUFF behind his garage; 50/50 odds there's an old brake drum or two somewhere in the pile. If he's got one, I might just make this forge myself, or I might start poking around some of the junkyards.

Well, he doesn't have one, but he's going to get me one. I think he may actually have a forge himself; he's been starting to play around with blacksmithing in his retirement. Looking for an anvil, last he said.

Well, people have done it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcB-vl0vgxM[/ame]

Where do you get the railroad track, though?

"News at 10:00! Breaking news! Train derailment in Stoughton, MA! Eighteen railroad cars full of toxic sulfuric acid have derailed in downtown Stoughton, killing hundreds and causing widespread panic. Let's go now to Asian Reporter Tricia Takanawa, who's standing with a short, portly man wearing welding gloves, who may have been an eyewitness. Tricia?"

I'm pretty sure Paulie's whole plan for Masstoberfest this year is to get a bunch of free labor to get that thing finally built. You'll be in charge of mixing the mortar; I'll be responsible for making sure everything's level. Paulie'll supervise.

Wouldn't be the first time....

Well, people have done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcB-vl0vgxM

Where do you get the railroad track, though?

"News at 10:00! Breaking news! Train derailment in Stoughton, MA! Eighteen railroad cars full of toxic sulfuric acid have derailed in downtown Stoughton, killing hundreds and causing widespread panic. Let's go now to Asian Reporter Tricia Takanawa, who's standing with a short, portly man wearing welding gloves, who may have been an eyewitness. Tricia?"

Way to much free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Incidentally, if you felt like driving to Wilbraham there's a guy selling a railroad-track anvil for $50. I'm a little surprised at the number of anvils for sale on Craigslist, to be honest.

Back